Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,565   Posts: 1,545,323   Online: 889

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Silver Recovery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Greetings,
    The electrolytic recovery unit I used had about 75 square inches of anode and the stainless cathode was a drum open top and bottom; motor driven at about 50 rpm; m about 7" diameter by 8" height. the cathode area was about 250 square inch total surface area. I think maximum current was about 2 amps
    Richard

Why are there no speaker jacks on a stereo camera?

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    I have 30 troy ounces of recovered silver...looking for a buyer!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Dear Randy D,

Try silverprofit.com. I think they reclaim as well as sell equipment.

Neal Wydra

Shooter
    35mm
    Instead of iron wool, could you use iron filings?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    hi garry

you probably can ... iron/steel wool has a large surface area to swap ions with
    and it won't just sit as a lump at the bottom of your tank ...

john
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    35mm
    The traditional silver reclaiming processes use steel wool. The soluble silver swaps with the iron in a chemical reaction and reduces to rusty water.

The issue with silver isn't as a "heavy metal" but in its antimicrobial properties. It will, or can at least, cause dead zones in waterways as a result of this. In sewer systems a common issue cited is runaway algae growth. Silver inhibits the growth of bacteria and other micro organisms, so the aluminum process (though i'm uncertain of its viability) would eliminate the issues associated with silver.

As a side note, does anyone know someway to sell the reclaimed silver? Most places I know only accept it if you're using their reclamation hardware.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    hi inlarry

i sell silver recovery products. the magnets you sell to a refiner, the steel wool you can't.
    the trickle tanks ( which are an iron or steel wool core &c and do the ion transfer ) unless you are in canada
    you have to pay about 70$ USD to have it refined.

with the magnets, you send the cathode loaded with silver to a refiner ( if you want ) the bag is included with the unit.
    they will mail you a check for about 90% of the value of the silver ( spot price * weight of the silver flake( less about 10% refining fee ).
    in canada and the UK/EU the refiners lined up to work with silver magnet users do the same, about 90% ... and in canada they will pay for shipping, AND if you have a trickle tank they will give you $$ for the silver in that as well.

good luck !
    john
    PM me for details

Shooter
    35mm
    OK, so just curious do any of the refiners return the silver to you, or is it always bought by them and you just get a check?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    hi inlarry

on the cathode it is 99% silver flake (from what i understand),

so you can ... you can hoard it, sell it to jewelers, or do whatever you want with it ...
    i know of some folks that just save it, and when the spot price of silver climbs, they send it to be refined ..
    the refiners that are "lined up" to help with the magnet, don't charge minimums &c so there are no
    extra costs, you can have it refined locally if you want ( or find a waste hauler to take it ) but i don't know
    what sort of payment they will offer ...

the trickle tanks ... i think there is more than just silver flake on
    the bits of steel wool/iron &c, but i am not really sure ...
    PM me for details

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I was thinking the recovered silver could be added to nitric acid to make cheap silver nitrate, so one could make one's own film.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin