Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,822   Posts: 1,581,901   Online: 1148

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Opening A Samigon SS Tank - Help

Hi all,

I finally received my Samigon SS tank. For some reason it took two months by air mail.

Anyway, I cannot seem to work out how to open it. The lid appears to snap on. I cannot move it at all. Or does it actually screw on??

Any help would be appreciated.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I should clarify this. The pouring cap opens fine - it has a bit which juts out which you can lever up. But the whole lid itself does not want to move.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    One of my tanks is a Samigon, just pull the top off. It's a pretty snug fit, but not a screw on. I have to add, though, I thought their 120 ss reels sucked! The clips aren't tight enough to hold the film in place. (I know... stick with Hewes for reels!!) Good luck.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    As others have said, the top is supposed to pull off. If it won't, pouring boiling water over the top only and then quickly pulling the top upwards (holding it with a cloth) should shift it.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I've rubbed paraffin wax around the edge, sometimes it helps a little bit..
    If I really can't get the lid off, I use a church key(bottle opener) edge..
    Messy but works..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think I have a samigon as well but I notice that if I pull the little pourer cap off, I can take the lid off easier. I think that makes air go in and does something to the pressure.

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    If the lid has gotten wedged on in shipping, it may be very hard to remove initially but still operate normally once you get it loose. If you have one, you might try one of those jar lid openers, a textured rubber sheet that lets you grip an object with more friction than your skin will provide; use that to hold the lid, while holding the tank body in your hand, and twist while lifting the lid away from the tank. Failing that, filling the tank with warm to hot soapy water and then drying the exterior (to restore gripping ability) might expand and lubricate things enough to get the top off. Do rinse thoroughly afterward, of course...

Note that heating the whole tank will slightly loosen the lid, because the lid, a slightly larger diameter, will expand more than the tank at the same temperature. Heating only the lid would be better, but is very hard to manage when the parts are tightly joined.

If all else fails, a scrap of wood driven with a light hammer can be used to drive up the edge of the lid, working around to even out the movement (though this option really requires 3-4 hands). Using a wood scrap instead of, say, a screwdriver will reduce the chance of bending the lid's rim and permanently damaging the tank.
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald Qualls
    Heating only the lid would be better, but is very hard to manage when the parts are tightly joined.
    Actually not too hard - just boil a pan of water, hold the tank upside down and dip the lid only into the water for about 30 sec.!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Thanks all so far. It's still stuck. I had tried the heating just the lid only. Then I tried filling the inside with cold water and heating the lid. Now I'm trying the soapy water.

David, I'll be trying your dipping method next.

Thanks again to all. Much appreciated.

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well, if all else fails, you could drill a one inch hole through the bottom and slide a length of closet rod into the hole, then use the rod to knock the lid off. This will, however probably make the tank leak, and might damage the reel inside (if there is one).

More seriously, you might try putting the whole tank in the oven and heating it to 400 F, then try opening it (with suitable insulation for your hands, of course). This will a) expand the lid more than the tank, and b) destroy any glue that might have found its way between lid and tank; expoxy softens as this temperature, if it doesn't just outright char, and even cyanoacrylate will lose enough strength you'll be able to twist the pieces apart (probably). If this fails, then dip the bottom in ice water and quickly try again.

The heat will NOT hurt a stainless tank or reel, as long as you don't go above 450 F.
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin