Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,860   Posts: 1,583,166   Online: 763

Shooter
    Holga

Selenium Toning after Fixer w/ Hardener

Before I was convinced of the value of applying Selenium toning to my prints, I used Kodak's Rapid Fixer w/ Hardener on them. Is there any way to Se Tone the prints now? I've tried a 1:20 dilution of Kodak's Rapid Se Toner for 5mins and 15mins without noticible effect, though I just might not be seeing it.

Then again, I tried to tone a few prints fixed with Ilford Rapid Fixer, and saw no results either. I believe this fixer doesn't have hardener in it because the instructions say "Do not use with a fixer hardener," which I take to mean they are incompatible, rather than it would be redundant and bad.

I'm toning for Archival reasons, mostly, if this makes any difference.

Any suggestions on toning these prints? I'd hate to sell non-archival quality prints.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    KRST 1:20 is sometimes unreliable. Use 1:10 or stronger. What paper are you using? And what paper developer? Some papers are less obvious in toning effect with KRST, perhaps except the deepening of shadow areas. (Developer used has effects as well.)

I see little or no relation between hardening and toning effect with KRST with modern papers made by major manufacturers, among what I use. Most papers are hardened to such a great degree that hardener in fix is unnecessary and probably doesn't do anything useful.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I would refix in plain hypo or a non-hardening fix, rewash, tone, and wash in that situation.

If you use an alkaline fixer, you will likely find your toning times to be significantly shorter in KRST than with an acid fixer.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hardeners in fixer are rarely needed with modern papers and with many modern films.
    It may not be possible to selenium tone a print that has been hardened. I know that Kodak recommends against hardening prints to be toned.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Dear jvarsoke,

You don't mention the paper you are using. I have found that Ilford and Kodak RC papers don't really change color dramatically in 1:20, although they do get darker.

Neal Wydra

Shooter
    Holga
    Sorry for not mentioning the paper; it's Ilford Multigrade IV Fiber (which is supposed to be rather friendly to selenium toning). The developer is LPD.

Other than stealing litmus paper from the local high school, how do I figure out if Kodak's Rapid Selenium Toner is an acid or base? It doesn't say as much on the bottle.

Also, does anyone know if Heilco's Perma-Wash is an effective Hypo Clear for use with Selenium Toner? I also have Berg's hypo-clear but am running a little short on it at the moment.

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    We use Heilco's permawash quite often.

after the toning, not with the selenium, altho the directions say one can use the toner with HCA. That is old thinking and that position changed years ago.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Kodak HCA is primarily Sodium sulfite.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by jvarsoke
    Sorry for not mentioning the paper; it's Ilford Multigrade IV Fiber (which is supposed to be rather friendly to selenium toning). The developer is LPD.
    In my experience, is VERY difficult to get a tone change with normal MGIV fiber (KRST 1:9, 15 minutes, and still no change in tone). Warmtone is different in this regards.

Shooter
    Holga
    I'd rather not have any color change. Unless slight tone change is necessary to determine if it worked or not. DMAX change would be fine. But I'm only doing this for archival reasons.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin