Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,771   Posts: 1,484,321   Online: 1085

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bulk Loader

Shooter
    35mm

Bulk Loader

Not really a new thread, I know. I've used the search engine and seen the old threads about Watsons Alden Lloyds etc.but I'd like opinions from the U.K. members as the two loaders I'd like to consider as purchases from new are the AP Bobinquick sold by FirstCall and the Jessops' one. I've never seen either mentioned which is not surprising as the U.K. members must be outnumbered by about 50:1. However contributions from any non U.K. members with experience of either would be welcome.

I've seen the Jessops and it looks straighforward and neat. Quite small and square but made of plastic. The plastic cassettes have screw tops which seem to be secure but easy to put on and take off.

It's the Bobinquick that I have never seen. Recommended by Firstcall for colleges as being the best on the market. Generally speaking if it's robust enough for student use, one would assume its OK. Prices for either the Bobinquick or Jessops are almost identical.

Anyone who can help with comments such as reliability, ease of use and the amount of waste per cassette would be appreciated.

Thanks

Pentaxuser

Images
    Adorama here in the states sells an AP under their brand. I bought one and am thrilled with it. Accurate frame counts, no scratches or wastage and it has a "film remaining on roll" counter. If I needed another tomorrow, I'd buy one of those.
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a Loyd's and 2 watsons, one of which is the older metal type. It is the best loader I have ever used. I dont like the Loyd's, the light trap scratched the negatives. The newer watsons are not as well constructed as the older ones. I buy my cassettes 25 at a time from freestyle, use them 5 times and throw them away. I use a piece of masking tape applied to the cassette to denote film type and number of uses. Works for me, good luck bulk film has saved me a ton.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Flotsam
    Adorama here in the states sells an AP under their brand. I bought one and am thrilled with it. Accurate frame counts, no scratches or wastage and it has a "film remaining on roll" counter. If I needed another tomorrow, I'd buy one of those.
    I've always wanted to know about that Adorama brand. On the web, it looks pretty nice.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have been using the Lloyds for many years now, and have never had one scratch on the film, but to each his own, I have a number of different brands around here, and pretty much they have all worked without a hitch, but I always go back to the Lloyds due to the smaller size and ease of use.

Dave

I know LLoyds uses a felt trap.. I do not like that idea. I have one bakalite Watson from 1965 and modified the inside cover to match the grey plastic one I inherited someplace along the line. Both work fine.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ronald,

What is it you don't like about a felt light trap, I have been doing phtoography for many years now, and never have had a problem with the felt light traps that are used in many different items in the photography equipment....not a fight stance, just curious.

Dave

Images
    Here's a handy household hint.
    Before loading a cassette, while one end cap is off, I take a post-it note slide it down the felt light trap and then pull the tacky end out through the felt to pick up any dust or grit that might be hiding in there. I do it twice to get both sides. I reload Efke and JandC cassettes several times without a scratching problem yet.
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    35mm
    I believe all of your replies to date are from people in the US, and I'm afraid I'm no exception. That said, your questions (probably) aren't UK-specific; house-brand products are usually made by major manufacturers and distributed under other names elsewhere. Specifically, I did a Web search on "AP Bobinquick" and found this UK site. The photo does indeed look just like the one for the bulk loader sold by Freestyle, which in turrn looks an awful lot like the one sold by Adorama, both as their house brands. All of these also look just like the Jessops bulk loader. I can't promise there are no internal differences, but I expect there aren't.

FWIW, in my Web search, I ran across a statement on another forum that the Jessops bulk loader is the same as one sold as a Telesar in the US in the 1970s. I recently bought one of these used (here's the eBay auction page.) It differs in some notable details from the ones I've referenced above, so my hunch is what I've got is an older model that evolved into the ones that are available new today. Certainly these are the only ones I've seen with a film-remaining indicator, which suggests they may be related. So far I've only shot one roll I loaded with my old/new Telesar. The roll came out, but I've got some lingering qualms about the design, so I plan to do another roll or two before rolling off and freezing large numbers of rolls. The light trap doesn't look like it should be very effective, though I didn't have problems with the one roll I shot. The way the film threads through the loader makes me worry about scratches, although again, I had no problems with the one roll I've shot so far that was loaded with this device. Perhaps the current AP Bobinquick/Jessops/Adorama/Freestyle loader doesn't have these issues, or perhaps I'm just being a worry wart.

One other point: I get the impression from the original question that you think you've got to use like-branded film cartridges. You don't. You can use any brand of film cartridge you like, even recycled cartridges you can get from most 1-hour photofinishers. Personally, I find metal cartridges easier to load; somehow I just have a hard time getting the spool into the plastic ones once the film is attached to the spool. (It doesn't help that I prefer to do this in total darkness so that I don't lose the final exposure of a roll, though.)

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Satinsnow
    Ronald,

What is it you don't like about a felt light trap
    I'm not Ronald, but the fear/complaint I've seen is that they tend to collect dust, which in turn causes scratches. This isn't normally a big deal with film cassettes, which are used a limited number of times; but felt in a bulk loader is likely to see thousands of feet of film pass through it, increasing the risk -- or so goes the claim. Neither of my two bulk loaders uses a felt light trap, so I can't comment from personal experience.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin