Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,519   Posts: 1,543,779   Online: 873

Shooter
    Multi Format

Film Slitter availability

A couple of days ago I was wandering through my local hobby emporium and found a gadget used for cutting strips of monocoat for trim on model aircraft.
    It is similar in layout to some slitter designs I've seen in articles in the past.
    Dimensions are about 6" wide with a wooden roller and a second, paralell rod with a cutting head that's infinitely adjustable from full width down to a couple of mm.
    The critter is made by Monocoat & sells locally for around $25.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by John Koehrer
    Dimensions are about 6" wide with a wooden roller and a second, paralell rod with a cutting head that's infinitely adjustable from full width down to a couple .
    Okay, I'll bite. What's a film slitter? Is this the same as those film guillotine things?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    The most popular use for film slitters is to cut 35mm film down for Minox use, but they could also be used to cut 70mm to 120 or 5" or 9.5" rolls down to something else.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb
    The most popular use for film slitters is to cut 35mm film down for Minox use, but they could also be used to cut 70mm to 120 or 5" or 9.5" rolls down to something else.
    Dang! I learn something new on Apug every dang day!
    Thanks!

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Of course, film slitters can also be used to feed Minolta 16 and other submini cameras, make non-perf 35 mm strips from 120 for 828, etc. -- assuming only that they support or can be adjusted to produce the correct strip width.
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin