Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,873   Posts: 1,520,146   Online: 911

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Hypercat starting times

There is so much info out there on Pyrocat HD - I am amazed at how little information I can find for Hypercat. I have some glycol on the way and really want to give this one a whirl. I was wondering if Sandy wrote and artical on it that I could read? - Are there some starting times for TRI-X, FP4 and/or APX100 - hand aggitation small tank 120 or 4x5? I have been quite fond of p'catHD but need that extra stop of speed. What is the sacrifice? Is there a substite for glycol? (just in case I don't wait for the one missing part to get here)
    My photos are always without all that distracting color ...

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    check unblinkingeye.com

there is a whole article from sandy on that site

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ann
    check unblinkingeye.com

there is a whole article from sandy on that site
    None listed for Hypercat

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    look under pryocat hd
    that is the name of this developer

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    hypercat and pyrocat hd are two different things. Pyrocat hd is from Sandy King and hypercat is from APUG user "Jdef". you might try PMing him and seeing what is up with his start times.

lee\c

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Are you talking about Hypercat, which I think is a developer that Jay de Fehr concocted (or at least promotes here) and has discussed here, or Pyrocat, which is Sandy King's formula?

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    my mistake, thanks lee for making the correction. that is what happens when not paying any attention to the whole sentence. sorry

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jdef
    Hi Frank.

Hypercat is a very versatile developer, so development times can range very widely depending on many factors, including developer dilution, film, and exposure conditions, among others. I consider the 1:1:100 dilution to be the "standard" dilution, only because it's the one I use most often. Times for the 1:1:100 dilution are very close to times for Xtol, undiluted, when printing on VC paper. Also, a 1:1:100 dilution of Hypercat is similar to a 2:2:100 dilution of Pyrocat HD. In fact, if you keep in mind that Hypercat is about 2X as concentrated as Pyrocat HD, you can use info for Pyrocat HD to get you in the ballpark with Hypercat. If there's anything I can do to help, please let me know.

Jay
    Thanks Jay:

I believe Sandy had a variation he called Pyrocat+ that had some ascorbic acid in it and it gave him full film speed. I do believe there is a trade off though on sharpness, if I remember correctly. I was wondering if you were familiar with this variation and how it compares with Hypercat. I think all he did was mix some ascorbic acid in alcohol and add some drops to regular p'cat. i have been using p'cat for over a year and it is my weapon of choice for sheet film - just as it is. I graduated to it from PMK which I jumped from for finer grain. p'cat looses one stop and for roll film, I really need that full film speed. I use 510 Pyro and like it better than PC-TEA for film but I think p'cat gave me finer grain and better edge effects. That is why the interest in Hypercat - and will look further into the p'cat plus.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin