Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,553   Posts: 1,544,929   Online: 852

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Which Film 14x17???

I LOVE FP4+/FX-1 in 8x10. I just bought a 14x17 camera and wish I could continue with this combo. However, as far as I know it's not available. Any suggestions for a similar look with the films that are available in that size?

I haven't had the opportunity to check out bergger/efke/j&c etc so I know nothing of the characteristics. Considering my affection for the fp/fx combo I'd appreciate any input with regards to exploring a new combo.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Bob

Shooter
    Large Format
    I would lean towards Efke PL 100 if you can tolerate the speed. If you need more speed, I would look towards JandC 400. For developer, I like Pyrocat.

Having used Bergger, I would not recommend it for anything other then silver with the full and clear recognition that it does not have the ability to expand contrast.

A lot depends on your subject matter, conditions, and printing process are going to use.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    My main subject would be landscapes in all kinds of light of course, and, I print (as of today's date) silver exclusively. That, like other things, may change ie pt/pd someday.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My vote would also be for Efke PL 100 and JandC 400. Pyrocat-HD is my developer of choice for both.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Dont shoot 14x17 but do shoot half that, 7x17.
    I started out shooting 8x10 and using exclusively FP4 (Ultrafine125) when they stopped making it I picked up Efke 100 and JandC 200 and shoot them both in 8x10 and 7x17 and love them both. Didnt take long to get used to and really enjoy the negatives I get when developed in Pyro HD.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You may find that speed becomes an issue on 14x17 (just wait until you discover how different DOF is...) - I'd suggest the J&C400 - I use it on 12x20 as well as Efke100. Efke is very easily scratched in trays. Until you are experienced devloping large pieces of film (or if you are using tubes of some sort), I'd be wary of Efke. It is great stuff for expansion, but very soft while wet. J&C400 has slightly less expansion potential than the Efke, but if you are printing in silver, I would expect this to be a non-issue.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin