Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,929   Posts: 1,585,244   Online: 966

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras

Where is all the Amidol?!

I ran out of my Amidol supply today, and went to order more...and Photographers Formulary is OUT OF STOCK on ALL Amidol. Does anyone know whats going on???

Thanks,

Ryan McIntosh

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I suspect that with the possibility of cheap Chinese amidol flooding the market, the usual suppliers have held off on restocking, and some like Artcraft, are even buying into the Chinese purchase.

Meanwhile, double check artcraft.com, bostick-sullivan.com, holography suppliers, and general chemical suppliers (like www.sigmaaldrich.com) who don't cater specifically to photographers (there are a few out there who list amidol, and I'm assuming that they supply places like Artcraft and the Formulary).
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    I usually purchase my Amidol from Photographers Formulary, but I found it for a few bucks more on Artcraft Chemicals site, and purchased it from them.

Please tell me more about this Chinese Amidol. What is the difference and is it worse?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Go to the Azo forum at www.michaelandpaula.com and read all about it. Greg Davis has organized a massive group purchase of amidol for about $50/lb from a Chinese supplier. It's taking longer than originally planned, and everyone hopes it works out, but if not, he'll refund all our deposits. It will involve Greg and Michael Smith traveling to China to test the amidol and make sure it is of sufficient quality, but they've tested a sample, and it was good. They rejected other suppliers that could not produce amidol of sufficient quality to prevent the prints from turning pink.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I am one of the participants in Greg Davis' Chinese Amidol order.

Here is some speculation. It seems likely that many (if not all) of the current Amidol manufacturers/wholesalers are located either in India or China. It is not clear that the Amidol from these sources is of sufficient purity for developer. Artcraft has had some bad luck over the past year with contaminated batches of Amidol that stain Azo pink or red. Artcraft has replaced the defective Amidol and is currently out of stock (possibly having trouble getting Amidol of acceptable quality).

One Indian Chemical firm has recently placed numerous Amidol related posts (that may be phishing expeditions) on Michael Smith and Paula Chamlee's Azo site. Caveat Emptor on that source - their most recent price quote was $200. per kilo. They were asked to send a sample for testing - no response has been received.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb
    Go to the Azo forum at www.michaelandpaula.com and read all about it. Greg Davis has organized a massive group purchase of amidol for about $50/lb from a Chinese supplier. It's taking longer than originally planned, and everyone hopes it works out, but if not, he'll refund all our deposits. It will involve Greg and Michael Smith traveling to China to test the amidol and make sure it is of sufficient quality, but they've tested a sample, and it was good. They rejected other suppliers that could not produce amidol of sufficient quality to prevent the prints from turning pink.
    The last time I spoke with Michael he told me that he would not be traveling with Greg to China.

At this point I have little faith in the eventual outcome of what I have come to call the "Chinese Vapordol Project". However, Michael Smith has remained steadfast in his belief that Greg will pull it off, and that carries a lot of weight with me. So for the nonce, I'm hanging on.

I've recently managed to secure 1/2 lb. of Artcraft amidol (no, I won't disclose where I got it - please don't ask) which will keep me printing for about a year, so I can afford to give Greg the benefit of the doubt. If I hadn't found that supply, I doubt that I would be so magnanimous in light of his reticence viz a vis the efforts to break the administrative logjam which has held up the transaction.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I got some Amidol from the Formulary 2 weeks ago.

I checked with them after seeing these and other posts, and they are indeed out of it already. It went immediately to existing orders but they expect a new batch in the immediate future. They informed me that it had arrived in the US and was being shipped to their plant.

PE

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin