Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,670   Posts: 1,481,775   Online: 1030

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by richard littlewood
    Forgot to mention I always got the streaks on slow or fast speed, pre soak or no pre soak. After I hacked up the spirals each spiral takes 6 sheets no problem. It really is down to un-Germanic poor design of the spirals, like they designed and made them without testing edge effects at all, or perhaps they thought all pics should be cropped top and bottom.
    Richard,

After careful checking with a scrap sheet of 4x5 negative loaded in the reel, I think your explanation/solution is the closest to the mark. I can clearly see where the sheet comes in the contact with both the "pips" (which left the wedge-shaped marks on the negative, visible on the right side of the first scan, both in the upper and lower edges), and the spiral (which resulted in streaks with higher density - i.e. lighter areas along the edge in the scan).

Modifying the reel a bit, following your advice, might just solve this....

Thanks,

Denis

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The real advantage of Jobo is with the Expert series for sheet film.
    Process is simply perfect. It's very difficult to change after tasting it.
    Have a try.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    When you load the reels, are you using two consecutive slots or are you leaving an unloaded slot between them?

I always used double the solution the drum called for and processed at high speed. I had no edge problems with my CPE. I was using a 1+9 dilution TMax RS with TMax 100 film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blaughn
    When you load the reels, are you using two consecutive slots or are you leaving an unloaded slot between them?

I always used double the solution the drum called for and processed at high speed. I had no edge problems with my CPE. I was using a 1+9 dilution TMax RS with TMax 100 film.
    I'm using the inner and outer slots, with one empty slot between them.

The developer was Rodinal 1+60 (about 400ml total), and the film is Efke PL 100.

Denis

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Guillaume Zuili
    The real advantage of Jobo is with the Expert series for sheet film.
    Process is simply perfect. It's very difficult to change after tasting it.
    Have a try.
    I know that Expert drums are *THE* thing for sheet film processing.
    However an Expert drum won't fit my (older) processor
    So, I'm stuck with the way I do it - 2523 drum with (or without) 2509N reel.

Given that photography is purely a hobby for me, buying a different processor plus an Expert drum simply won't do (too darn expensive, and nearly impossible to find here in Croatia).

However, I'm good at hacking stuff , and I won't give up on this. 4x5 negatives are simply too wonderful, and I'll keep at it, even if it means ditching the 2509 reel and inventing a system of my own - or using the previously discovered method of processing 2 negs at a time without the reel.

I also have a larger 25xx tank - I think it's 2553, and I could just do something like this:
    http://www.galerie-photo.com/porte-film-jobo.html
    It's a variation of JOBO's "filmholder" thingy...

Besides, I'll first have to try higher rotation speed on the processor - it might be all it takes to use the 2509N reel without problems. If that doesn't solve it, we'll move on to other solutions

Denis

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I also have never had a problem with my 2509N reels that was not down to a dumb mistake by me. I run it at high speed on a CPE2, mainly with FP4+ in ID-11 with ocassional forays in to Rodinal, and follow the recommended processing sequence in the Jobo manuals. No sign of uneven development or wedges.

Just thought I'd big-up the 2509N reels as they seem to get a lot of stick, but I've never had a problem with mine...

Cheers, Bob.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Like I said work perfect for me to-)

The experts have a different set of problems. How much developer can you put into a 3010 drum?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    This streaking problem is weird. Some folks insist they dont get it and to others it is a real problem with these reels and 5x4 film - I've never had it with the roll film reels, it seems to only be a problem with the sheet reels. There is a way round it that involves a bit of brave DIY, but once completed 12 sheets can be processed using only 700ml of chemicals with edge to edge even-ness. Honestly its that good!
    Expert drums are without a doubt better, but like you Denis I had already set myself up with a CPE-2 and a 2553 drum with sheet reels, and I was determined to mess around with the spirals till any development nasties were a thing of the past. If you have the gear get stuck in!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I wonder if it is a developer thing - a more viscous developer promoting uneven development caused by drag at the edges of the reel? Or the difference may be the reels with, and those without, the plastic film holder clips? Or the processor not being level, or....

Cheers, Bob.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Bob
    I tried ID-11 at 1+1, 1+2, Rodinal and a few D-76 varients and I always had the edge problems. I've never not used the reel clips, although no doubt they introduce their own influences on development! The CPE-2 and reels are dead good at developing sheet film, its just the lack of attention Jobo gave to the spiral sides when they designed the things - like they almost intended them to be second rate. And speaking of second rate - the lift arm on the CPE-2 - very toy like!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin