Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,889   Posts: 1,629,859   Online: 1069

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, it's been a while since I posted in this thread...

In the meantime, I sold my old CPE2 and purchased a CPA2...

I'm not sure it was a clever move, since I got a big surprise when I tried to fit it into the space previously occupied by CPE2... That thing is BIG!
    I had to do some creative hacksaw carpentry to make some additional space for it

Another thing that I don't like about CPA2 is that it has a fixed red top "cover" with openings for bottles and graduates - it's screwed on to the black plastic "tub"... Makes it really difficult to drain the processor after use. It does have a "drain outlet" on the bottom, and I've attached a piece of hose (garden variety) to drain it, bit it never drains all of the water from the processor bottom - so you still have to manually lift the processor and drain the last drops by hand. Either that, or use a sponge and some cloth to wipe the inside of the processor completely dry. Learned it the hard way - I left the thing with a small puddle of water in the processor water hold for a few days in the lab - when I came back couple of days later, it smelled real nasty

As for processing, it's much better than my old CPE2 - the water pump makes all the difference... The bigger size also means you can use longer drums, and it can also use Expert drums (not that I have any - yet). I still get by with 2509n reels for 4x5 negatives, and for 5x7 I use my DIY "film sheaths" (see my other post here).

After switching to faster speed, I can't see any problems with streaks any more.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    You can add a ship small water pump (aquarium) in a cpe2 for a more constant temperature .

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Denis P. View Post
    Another thing that I don't like about CPA2 is that it has a fixed red top "cover" with openings for bottles and graduates - it's screwed on to the black plastic "tub"... Makes it really difficult to drain the processor after use. It does have a "drain outlet" on the bottom, and I've attached a piece of hose (garden variety) to drain it, bit it never drains all of the water from the processor bottom - so you still have to manually lift the processor and drain the last drops by hand. Either that, or use a sponge and some cloth to wipe the inside of the processor completely dry. Learned it the hard way - I left the thing with a small puddle of water in the processor water hold for a few days in the lab - when I came back couple of days later, it smelled real nasty
    Why would plain water smell? I never had problems draining mine. Its been a few years since using (its in storage) and I remember just placing a piece of wood, 1x2 on one end to tilt it to get all the water out. Regardless, plain water should not smell real nasty. Did the chemicals get dumped or leaked into the water bath?
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fotch View Post
    Regardless, plain water should not smell real nasty. Did the chemicals get dumped or leaked into the water bath?
    No, I don't think any chemicals got in the water - it just went stale and smelly...

Anyway, I now have the habit of draining and drying it thoroughly.
    In short, it's a nice machine and definitely a step up from the old CPE2. I'm thinking of doing prints in one of the larger drums (with extension) - it would take a lot less space than 3 big trays

Denis

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin