Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,549   Posts: 1,544,652   Online: 735

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Hi Kevin,

I was talking about fiber paper. it is not that the fiber paper comes apart but the emulsion just disintegrates and the water is just black with stuff. But the paper is still together. I have never tried it with RC paper. I dont have any rc paper right now but it would interesting to see if it would come apart in a couple of days.

lee\c

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    for RC, I wash them as I go... I make a print and it gets washed while I'm setting up the next one. Select neg, clean it, test strip(s), ready to make 'work' print... all takes enough time that the 1st print will be washed.

For Fiber, I usually only expect to print one neg in a session, of which I usually make a few copies. Each one goes into the wash tray after a swim in the hypo-clear, then once the last ones in, I wash for 1/2hr or so.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    EMAKS RC paper (now called ADOX?) tends to lose the emulsion after a day or so, when Ilford RC is still holding on.

All right, I got distracted and forgot a few lousy test prints. Then decided to prolong it until something happened and call it an experiment
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Working in an industrial lab the B&W paper processor often gave us some insight, to prior work that had gotten lost.

It was a 50" wide Ilford processor, which accepted the 48" wide Ilford B&W roll paper. The smallest piece of paper it was supposed to take was 5x7". What no one ever told the new people was that a 5x7" paper had to be fed diagonally, otherwise it just disappeared into the bowels of the machine.

The processor was cleaned once a month, that is the racks were pulled out and cleaned and the tanks flushed. Usually we found something like ½ a dozen small prints sitting in the wash tank. All of them were either thrown out or occassionally rescued by a quick wipe and stuck up on the wall for curiosity. I never once saw RC emulsion coming apart.

It was an Ilford B&W lab with all of the colour work being Kodak.

Mick.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I tend to over fix and (greatly) over wash RC papers, for greater permanence and convenience. I have never noticed any negative effects of any kind.

David.

Shooter
    35mm
    Hey everyone, thanks for all the great responses. My question mainly had to do with Fiber (guess I should have stated that) but I never thought about the emulsion separating from the print on RC paper. My main concern was whether over-fixing or leaving the print in the water for too long will cause it to deteriorate in a few months after I've spent money to have it framed, etc.

I'll definitely keep an eye on the RC (for my contact sheets) but I can say that I recently left some in the water bath for at least 24 hours with no ill effects (ilford paper), just for what it's worth.

Thanks again...

------
    viva film

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by hankins27
    If I leave the print in the stop bath ...
    ...water holding bath too long?
    An issue of work flow. Holding in a stop should be OK.
    I'd give a 50-50 bisulfite-sulfite holding bath a try; likely
    near neutral and with a preservative character.

Make it a point to run all prints through your one or
    two fixers, rinse, hca, rinse, rinse long. For half an hour
    wash with tray using hydrophobic separators twixt the prints.
    Be sure you've a separator on bottom and on top of stack.
    Do not disturb.

Afterwards transfer the prints to a second tray interleaving
    the rinsed and rung separators. Sit back. Let a still water
    diffusion wash clean your prints overnight. The next day
    I give a final rinse then sponge prior to drying. Dan

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin