Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,222   Posts: 1,532,406   Online: 1124

Shooter
    Multi Format

Lost film, maybe.

I shot a bunch of film during our local Blues Festival.Night work using pushed tri-x and P3200 pulled to 1600. I am missing one roll, and there lays my dilemma.
    There are 2 rolls of film in my fridge with their leaders pulled into the cassette which could mean 1 of 2 things. #1.An exposed roll of film. #2.Film that had been rewound without being exposed.
    Can I do any sort of test (like a clip test) to see if the film has been shot? It might sound penny pinching but I have neither the time nor the money to waste.

Thanks,
    Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I appreciate that time is money and film is not to be wasted, but in this case I think you should just go ahead and develop both films. IMO there is no choice if you want to know if you did lose that roll.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm not aware of any non-destructive tests... But if you are prepared to sacrifice the first couple of images on the suspect roll, you could always cut the film where you expect frame #1 or #2 to be. Should be fairly easy if you use a developed (but not cut) film as reference. According to Murphy you will of course split a frame when cutting.... For a very Q&D test just put a little piece of film (not the leader, as it is already exposed) in a little cup with developer, and develop for a few minutes. If the film is exposed you will see it when the lights come on. You might save some money, but not much time...

Shooter
    Multi Format

Heres the solution.

Thought I should post this in case anyone else has run into the same problem.
    The chap who runs the last true camera shop in town,and has 30+ years of experience developing B&W film told me to cut a few inches past the leader and develop it along with my next roll of film. I just finished souping a roll of Tri-x and the added bit of film came out cleat,ergo,it had not been shot.
    Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The question arises: why was the film leader retracted?

Shooter
    Multi Format

x

My own stupid mistake. Most likely I had it loaded into one of my auto-rewind cameras and changed my mind about shooting it. The camera would have pulled the leader into the cassette and I forgot to extracxt it.
    Lesson learned.

Mike

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin