Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,856   Posts: 1,583,040   Online: 904

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Rodinal 1+25 and Acros

I made a little mistake and did not check development times for Rodinal 1+25 and Neopan Acros before I mixed up 1,5 litres of developer. When I checked massivedevchart I found that there were no times for that combination... So, being a cheapskate, I did some advanced mathematics and came up with 9 minutes with agitation the first minute, and four inversions (with a 1,5 litre tank, takes like 20 sec) at 3 - 5 - 7 minutes. Nah, it wasn't really mathematical, I was guessing...

Anyway. The negs look alright, but quite high in contrast. I haven't printed any of them yet, so I'm not sure about grain, but I'm pretty sure it will be more visible than my normal development, XTOL 1+1. Which is good, as I find Acros almost too fine-grained in XTOL. Can't get grain focus even at 12x16 enlargements!

Next time I will try 1 + 50... and of course that 2 hour stand development.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I use Rodinal 1+25 and Neopan Acros 4x5 regularly, in a jobo, with times from 3 to 11 minutes depending on how i shot the film. I get very good results.

I think you will find many folks use the combination with success.

Pete
    "…Action always generates inspiration. Inspiration seldom generates action."

Frank Tibolt

WWW.DENDRINOS FINE ART.COM

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think I'll need to rate it at 50 or even 25 to get a little more controlled contrast. At 100 ISO with 1+25 I lost some of the nice things with acros, ie the beautiful tones.

nze
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I test 1+25 , 1+50 and 1+100 and I really prefer tthe 1+100 for normal and minus , for plus I use 1+50

best
    Chris Nze
    me Apug Portfolio
    Me web page

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you want to see how it came out:

http://blog.hform.se/article/143/toy-for-a-boy

This is quite soft light, so the contrast is no problem on this frame.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by nze
    I test 1+25 , 1+50 and 1+100 and I really prefer tthe 1+100 for normal and minus , for plus I use 1+50

best
    The problem I have with the higher dilutions is that there is not enough developer in the tank to complete the development process. That is to say it becomes exhausted before development is complete.

The real problem is that I use a jobo 1500 and the chemical tanks don't hold enough liquid to allow me to use higher dilutions and still keep the minimum amount of developer needed in the solution to do the job.

Pete
    "…Action always generates inspiration. Inspiration seldom generates action."

Frank Tibolt

WWW.DENDRINOS FINE ART.COM

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Maybe that's what's happening here?

http://www.apug.org/forums/showthrea...589#post197589

*h

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by timeUnit
    I think I'll need to rate it at 50 or even 25 to get a little more controlled contrast. At 100 ISO with 1+25 I lost some of the nice things with acros, ie the beautiful tones.
    I have been using Extol 1+1 for Acros 400 in order to avoid derating the A 400 ASA. However, I like the idea of the different dilutions of Rodinal for different N-values as long as there is no degradation of quality using Rodinal vs. Extol.
    [FONT=Times New Roman]MAC[/FONT]

nze
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterDendrinos

The real problem is that I use a jobo 1500 and the chemical tanks don't hold enough liquid to allow me to use higher dilutions and still keep the minimum amount of developer needed in the solution to do the job.

Pete
    I understand peter. And 1+100 dilution is only intereting if you develop in manual tank or in tray. For 120 film I use a manual tank and for large format film I truely prefer to develop it by hand. I can handle 8-12 film in th same batch so it is quick to develop a the wotk of the day.

Best
    Chris Nze
    me Apug Portfolio
    Me web page

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin