Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,271   Posts: 1,534,488   Online: 1119

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    The finest 400 grain I have ever seen is from TMAX 400 in Xtol. This is for nice sharp grain but small. If you want mushy fine grain, you can use HP5 in MicrodolX but you take a hit on film speed and sharpness. TMY is amazingly good film - it has great recipricosity characteristics and more contrast than TRI-X or HP5. It pushes easily. It will not capture the big brightness range that TRI-X will but for spans of 8 stops or so it is great.
    My photos are always without all that distracting color ...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I've been using HP5+ (at 250) and developing it in ID-11 1+1 with very fine results. The grain is apparent but not objection by any means. I've even enlarged to 5.75 x 14 and have been very pleased with the results.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'll also say that my favorite for sharpness and fine grain is Delta 400 in FX-39. But Tri-X in that same developer does have the ability to retain some shadow detail if slightly underexposed where Delta 400 just dumps it. No perfect combination.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Hrm

I checked with prof (Im taking classes at MCAD this year while Im waiting for grad school to start up) and he thinks it might be because I had the lens of the enlarger too close to the paper.

Does that make any sense?

Since its a portrait I was working on, I also thought about just de-focusing a touch.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by zenrhino
    I checked with prof (Im taking classes at MCAD this year while Im waiting for grad school to start up) and he thinks it might be because I had the lens of the enlarger too close to the paper.

Since its a portrait I was working on, I also thought about just de-focusing a touch.

80mm or larger lens with 35mm film?

I'm not sure I get the correlation, grain gets enlarged as the negative is enlarged. What developer were you using for the film?

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by zenrhino

No, it doesn't. A statement like that makes me question the credentials of your instructor. It could also be that he's pulling your leg, busting chops, or being a jerk. Pick one.

But to answer your original question, and to add my $.02 to what's already been written here, your choice of developer will have some influence on the appearance of grain in your prints. Tri-X and TMax 400 are my 2 favorite 400 speed B&W films in the 35mm format, with HP5+ pulling up a close third. My usual developer for these films is dilute XTOL. Microdol-X, when used full strength, will lessen the apparent grain of these films but will cost you some speed and sharpness. Maybe there's still some reason for using it, but if you're going to lose speed why not just use a slower film straight away?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Delta 400 in DD-X?

Cheers

André

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin