Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,928   Posts: 1,522,161   Online: 1034

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm with Flotsam on this one. Been using soda bottles and a technique similar to his for years and they have always worked well for me. Instead of leaving the bottle half full though, I top off the partially full bottle with propane gas from a soldering torch. Being heavier than air, it acts like a gaseous floating lid over the contents of the bottle and keeps the O2 out. There is a product available specifically for this purpose and I'm told that it is nothing more than butane. Problem is that a small can of the stuff goes for over $10, while you can get a small propane tank for about $3 to $4 US that will last for months.

The accordion bottles are a waste of time and money. They don't seal well and are hard to handle when full.

Images
    I admit that I also displace the air in my partially full bottles. I used butane for awhile then ran across several cans of Beseler XDL, a product that was made for the purpose, out in my garage. I must have stocked up on the stuff when they stopped making it so I have at least a couple of years supply, then it'll be back to butane.

My recent problem was the last time I mixed Xtol I filtered it into the liter bottles by putting a plug of cotton in a funnel. Very quickly, the flow would become a drip and as I watched each drop fall several inches and splash into the solution in the bottle, I thought, "You know? If you actually wanted to aerate a liquid, this would be a darned good way to do it". Of course that is exactly what you do _not_ want to do to your developer.
    I bought a real nice 40oz delta filter funnel with an extension tube that will extend to bottom of the bottle. That should solve the problem.
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Doesn't the fluid just drop to the bottom of the tube and splash?

Images
    It definitely makes for a gentler transition. Additionally, the Delta's 2 inch filter keeps the solution flowing more freely preventing that drip, drip, drip scenario.
    Does anyone know if anyone makes a two-piece funnel like the one that Kodak used to make? Those things were great.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Moravec
    May I ask why you make life miserable for yourself. Put the developer in small glass bottles, use it once or twice and pitch it.

With the effort put into getting a decent neg, why fool around trying to save pennies on film developer, specially one which you can not deem still good by looking at it.

At the very least, properly replenish it.
    I'm with you, Ronald. All of these gyrations are a bit like Roman augurs examining the livers of sheep for positive omens before seating the Senate.

Mix fresh (Xtol, Mytol YourTol, ToeTol, whatever), store in single-use brown glass bottles, discard after using.

Good lord.
    Michael Sebastian
    Website | Blog

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Not to be a party pooper, but I would like to put this thread back on track. The original question was not clear apparently

For those of us who use admittedly sub-standard storage techniques, our XTOL will begin to show its age earlier than Kodak would like. For those of you who are properly storing your XTOL, you too will start to see the XTOL age. Since you stored it properly, you will not encounter this as soon as I do... but you will encounter it eventually. Now we've gotten the storage question out of the way.

the actual question should have been: "When your XTOL finally starts to show its age (however long that may take), are you seeing the contrast drop off that I've seen?"

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SchwinnParamount
    the actual question should have been: "When your XTOL finally starts to show its age (however long that may take), are you seeing the contrast drop off that I've seen?"
    ...Nope.
    Apparently I store it OK and use it quick enough.
    =Neal W.=

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin