Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,995   Posts: 1,524,285   Online: 877

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have two more questions & am getting frustrated with my dial-up connection! slow! actually 3.
    #1 I know Rodinal is a one-shot developer. I can't find anything on capacity for sheet films.

#2 Also, most of the information I've found is for kb25. I ordered the PL25. are the times/dilutions the same as for roll & 35mm?

#3 Is there a book on this stuff? I'm spending hours doing searches and trying to piece it all together. I checked the Afga site, and their tech site is pretty generic.

I'm using or will be using Efke25 roll & 4x5.

I promise... no more questions after this! it'll be trial and error ...

Thank you all!

Dorothy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by djkloss
    I have two more questions & am getting frustrated with my dial-up connection! slow! actually 3.
    #1 I know Rodinal is a one-shot developer. I can't find anything on capacity for sheet films.
    I like to mix enough Rodinal working developer solution to completely cover the film (for a roll of 120 in a small Kindermann tank I mix 500ml). The surface area of a 36 exp roll of 35mm film is approximately the same as the surface area of a roll of 120 film. 3 sheets of 4x5 have about the same surface area as these roll films. Therefore, the development capacity is the same for these 3 examples.

#2 Also, most of the information I've found is for kb25. I ordered the PL25. are the times/dilutions the same as for roll & 35mm?
    For PL 25 times and dilutions in Rodinal, see:
    http://www.jandcphoto.com/index.asp?...on=Custom&ID=2

For a given temperature and agitation scheme, the time and dilution for a single 36 exp roll of 35mm will be the same as the time and dilution for a single roll of 120 rollfilm (or 3 sheets of 4x5).

#3 Is there a book on this stuff? I'm spending hours doing searches and trying to piece it all together. I checked the Afga site, and their tech site is pretty generic.

I'm using or will be using Efke25 roll & 4x5.

Thank you all!

Dorothy
    See the answer to question #2
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Dorothy:

The books I used were Ansel Adams' The Negative, Fred Picker's Zone VI Workshop Minor White's Zone System Manual. [Note: Please, no one start a zone system argument here! These are just the books I used and they all have useful information on determining exposure and development for one's specific film and developer combination.]

The basic concept is to "expose for the shadows, develop for the highlights".

I used both daylight tank (Yankee) and tray development techniques. Both have problems. The Yankee tank gave uneven development often enough that I abandonded it. I would be willing to give it a try again using a modified technique. Tray development of more than one or two sheets at a time sometimes produced scratched negs. (One hint here: use large trays. A 5x7 tray for 4x5 film is not big enough, in my experience.)

When I start processing 4x5 again, I will use deep tank and hangers (Kodak), even though it means doing it in the dark.

I will start with Rodinal, and may test with others as well. I used HC-110, Rodinal and Edwal FG-7 in the past. All were good choices, each with its own characteristics.

Create a test plan, take notes as you test, work slowly and methodically, and you will be fine.

Earl
    Honey, I promise no more searching eBay for cameras.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

I read somewhere (couldnt find it right now, but will go back when i find it) Rodinal capacity is 10ml/rol/ equivalent, meaning 4 sheets 4x5" or 1 sheet 8x10" regardless of dilution. But tried 5ml and its ok for me (10ml + 500ml for 2 rolls 120)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Kayus

I read somewhere (couldnt find it right now, but will go back when i find it) Rodinal capacity is 10ml/rol/ equivalent, meaning 4 sheets 4x5" or 1 sheet 8x10" regardless of dilution. But tried 5ml and its ok for me (10ml + 500ml for 2 rolls 120)
    There are as many other voices that say "don't mind the 10ml AFGA guideline". It is a safety margin from a manufacturer.

I develop up to 6 4x5 sheets in 1/200, a total solution of 1 Liter (in a spacer divided tray, no agitation) and leave the sheets in for app. 50 minutes (covered by a larger black tray so I can turn on the lights once the sheets are in the developer). I guess the developper is fully exhaust after that time
    The result is very nice as per my standards. It works for TRI-X 320, FP4+, HP5+.

G

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Thank you all!

Dorothy
    Have fun with the trial and error. Don't let it frustrate you. But don't stop asking the questions. Others, (i.e. Me) learn from the discussions here and hopefully improve our own work. I just recently started developing 4x5 myself and was happy to see this thread develop...

Cheers!

Joe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks. It can be rather intimidating around here. But I'm determined if nothing else. I've seen some beautiful work on this site and it gives me inspiration as well as frustration.

I just realized that four 4x5 sheets put in a plastic sheet protector take up the same amount of space that a roll of 35mm film or a roll of 120 film takes in a sheet protector. therefore.... it would only make common sense right?. I think you're right. I'm digging too deep. I guess I'll have to also try the film testing procedure mentioned by David Vestal & Ansel Adams. If it improves the success rate I'm all for it.

Thanks for all your feedback.

Dorothy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

...I was wondering if the SS was an alternative for non-acid stop baths? Or is that another topic?

Dorothy
    No, Sodium Sulfite is not an alternative for stop bath (plain water - or nothing at all - works fine with dilute developers).

Sodium Sulfite IS useful as a Fixer Clearing Agent (like HCA). Use 20 to 30 grams per liter of water to make a working solution. Soak the film or paper for 5 minutes after fixing, then wash.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin