Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,851   Posts: 1,582,857   Online: 844

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

recommendations for 4x5 dev w/rodinal?

I just started playing with my dad's speedgrafic. I'd like to try using rodinal with efke. i'm starting with tray developing small quantities. I read that you shouldn't use an acid stop with this film. so I need suggestions for two things... rodinal & ... what are the options for non acid stop baths?

Thanks! any suggestions would be great!

Dorothy

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I've done lots of films in Rodinal recently - all ISO100 films seem to be fair in Rodinal 1+25 for 10 minutes.

I never use stop bath at all, just water.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi: you can use water. If you want, use a deeper tray than you use for dev and fix, and agitate the film for a minute or so just as you'd agitate in the dev and fix.
    To be extra safe, you could clamp a hose to the tray and run the water at a low flow rate to get a continual change of water.
    I haven't used acid stop on film since the late '70's, when I read that Judy Dater used a water stop (in "Darkroom" or "Darkroom 2," I forget which.) It's a lot easier on film.
    Which efke? Rodinal is great; so is HC110 in dilutions weaker than dilution B. Welcome to 4X5!!
    dphphoto

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by djkloss
    I just started playing with my dad's speedgrafic. I'd like to try using rodinal with efke. i'm starting with tray developing small quantities. I read that you shouldn't use an acid stop with this film. so I need suggestions for two things... rodinal & ... what are the options for non acid stop baths?

Thanks! any suggestions would be great!

Dorothy
    I too use water for a stop bath. Since I use TF-4 fixer, which according to the manufacturer should not be used with an acid stop, with all films and I've never had any problems.

- Randy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use a water stop bath for Efke and Classic Pan films.

I stick to 1+100 dilutions of Rodinal, and develop my 9x12cm and 4x5" film in a tank (120 Gepe tank) either one at a time by slipping the film in emulsion side in, or two or more sheets using rubber bands around the film (taco method).

This way I can do most of the process in daylight.

Paul

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole
    I've done lots of films in Rodinal recently - all ISO100 films seem to be fair in Rodinal 1+25 for 10 minutes.

I never use stop bath at all, just water.
    My experience with Efke is that PL100 (Efke 4x5 film, 100 ASA) turns out well in Rodinal 1+50 at 10 minutes max., so Rodinal 1+25 for 10 minutes for Efke 100 would be way too much. YMMW....

I also do Efke R100 (120 film) in Rodinal 1+50 for 10 minutes.

Denis

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I like a higher contrast than most - the "mesocontrast" which gives the prints life and is difficult to manipulate in printing. Then I burn and dodge in printing to get the macrocontrast right.

But that's just my way of getting the results I like!
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Use water or nothing. I skip that step. With Rodinal being so dilute, it probably won`t make much difference if you skip it or not.

I use alkaline fix, so an acid stop is out for sure.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dphphoto
    Hi: you can use water. If you want, use a deeper tray than you use for dev and fix, and agitate the film for a minute or so just as you'd agitate in the dev and fix.
    To be extra safe, you could clamp a hose to the tray and run the water at a low flow rate to get a continual change of water.
    I haven't used acid stop on film since the late '70's, when I read that Judy Dater used a water stop (in "Darkroom" or "Darkroom 2," I forget which.) It's a lot easier on film.
    Which efke? Rodinal is great; so is HC110 in dilutions weaker than dilution B. Welcome to 4X5!!
    Thanks all for your suggestions. I haven't decided which Efke, just that I like the comments I've heard about it from Apug members & from J&C and how it's great combined with Rodinal. I found some 20 year old Sodium Sulphite in my inheritance along with some crystalized rodinal. I was wondering if the SS was an alternative for non-acid stop baths? Or is that another topic?

Thanks again...

Dorothy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just recently tried EFKE25 and APX100 in Rodinal. Both new film and developer to me (after TMY/TmaxRS combo for several years). There are 2 things: Using Rodinal and EFKE Film (120). Using Rodinal I found: Agitation is very important, thats why we see times from 7 to 17mins @20C. I follow Rodinal leaflet, and it says, first minute cont agitation, then 1x (!!!) / 30 secs. It really felt strange, just inverting the tank 1x after being used to 4-5x/30secs. But it really works and speed is also acurate according to Agfa (25 for EFKE25 and 100 for APX100, both in 120 though). For EFKE25 I use 1+100 (18mins) and for APX 1+50 (17mins). I used Pentax digital spotmeter for metering (somehow didnt work when using Gossen LunaProF)
    Second: Dev 4x5". After getting frustrated by doing it in the dark in trays and still getting scratches, I finally used Jobo2500 tank (6sheets and 1500ml dev) and agitating by inverting like roll film. No problem so far, just using more developer than tray/rotation.
    Just my USD0.02
    Kayus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin