Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,678   Posts: 1,482,124   Online: 987

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This is why I stopped using Paterson Tank, I had these marks most of the time with 120 rolls. Now with Hewes spirals and Jobo tank roll film are perfect.
    G.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I've had these marks often, too, and I always assumed it was bubbles. For me it seemed to start when I started using Pyrocat HD. One thing that bothers me about Ilford films is that they seem to create a ton of foam. By the last agitation cycle, it seems that the developer isn't even moving because there's so much foam in there. I always develop 2x 120 rolls per Paterson reel, so that may account for the amount of foam I get.
    Last edited by j_landecker; 12-06-2007 at 03:35 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My Advice, Pre-wet, agitate for one min intitially then 3 sharp taps on the work bench to dislodge any air.
    If you still have problems, then use the central swisher stick method for agitation rather than inversion.
    Mark

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I agree, these are bubble marks.
    Use at least 600cc of developer, do not agitate vigorously and gently tap the sides of the tank after agitation. I'm confident that these marks will disappear.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What really helps is as I stated in my two year old post; to rap the tank firmly on the counter a couple of times after each agitation. I put a folded up towel on the counter so I don't break or damage the tank. That helps to dislodge the air bells.
    The less agitation you do in your developing, the more important this becomes, since when you agitate you will at least move the bubbles an affect a different area.
    Has someone measured the pH of both these developers? I'm not a scientist, but I thought that might help understand why this problem occurs.
    - Thomas
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    35mm RF
    This is amazing that this thread would pop-up on my screen this morning. Just last night I developed a couple of rolls of film, one Delta 3200 in HC-110, the other, HP5 in Rodinal. Guess what? Marks on the edges of the film developed in Rodinal. The Delta 3200 was developed in a Patterson tank, the HP5 in an old Ansco tank. I have always used D76 and HC-110, the Rodinal is new for me.
    Roger

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Plus-X in D76 had white airbubbles on negative. Spoilt plenty nice grey skies. Tried destilled water, banging more vigorous on floor before agitation, nothing helped, but, as others suggested: first developer in Paterson-tank, than in darkness take out reel or reels out of empty other tank in full tank, problem was over. So I use two tanks. And, it only happened me with Plus-X. Greetings Maart

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    "...banging more vigorous on floor before agitation..."
    You should knock your tank on the floor/counter after agitation, not before. No wonder you couldn't get rid of the air bells.
    - Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by maart View Post
    Plus-X in D76 had white airbubbles on negative. Spoilt plenty nice grey skies. Tried destilled water, banging more vigorous on floor before agitation, nothing helped, but, as others suggested: first developer in Paterson-tank, than in darkness take out reel or reels out of empty other tank in full tank, problem was over. So I use two tanks. And, it only happened me with Plus-X. Greetings Maart
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin