Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,954   Posts: 1,522,788   Online: 960

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

tri-x w/rodinal 1+50: lighter spots?

Hello!

I developed three rolls of tri-x 120-film in my new paterson 1,5 litre tank, with rodinal 1+50 @ 20°C for 13,5 minutes. Agitation the first minute, then four inversions at 3, 5, 7, 9 and 11 minutes. Four inversions take 15-20 seconds with this tank.

My problem is that all three rolls have spots that are lighter along one egde. Lighter on the neg, darker on the scans. I'm fairly new with rodinal, and the 1,5 litre tank is even newer, so there might be something I'm missing.

Two rolls were taken with a Mamiya 7 and one with a Mamiya C330, but all show the same spots (or rather patches) so it's not a camera issue. It's not a question of light leaks either, that would of course give _dark_ spots on the neg, light on the scans.

Check this out:

http://www.hform.se/Images/spotex1.jpg

Look along the bottom edge of the negs.

What could be causing this? Dev. exhaution? Insufficient agitation?

Any insight highly appreciated!

*henning
    Last edited by timeUnit; 10-08-2005 at 12:09 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: mistype

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If the little quasi ameboid splotches are what you're referring to.. I see them, but I don't know the cause.

Rodinal is a very powerful developer, and exhaustion fears are unwarranted. Agitation is out, because the density is even, the splotches are specific, and besides, Rodinal will develop evenly with far less agitation than you gave. With its high pH, Rodinal is soapy, and tends to get to the emulsion very effciently, it is pretty much air-bell proof. It shouldn't matter if you poured the developer in, or dropped the reels into a full tank; at least reagrding the splotches.

Have you had this trouble with other developer ?

Did you wash the reels before using them ?

Have you tried re-fixing the film ?

Did you use a wetting agent after the wash ?

Did you dry the film on the reel ?

I wish I had an answer. Probably one of the Wise Ones will come along soon and know the cause. Probably, you were wearing the wrong color socks.

Good luck.

"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Hmmm. Maybe try another film in your tank, say, one from Ilford line? The film could be damaged during confectioning at Kodak plant... I have seen the manufacturing defects that way, like oily stains on the emulsion. Or maybe your reels caught and trapped air, and you didn't tap your tank on the table after filling it? But in that case the marks should look a bit different... I am inclined more to defective film version.

Zhenya

Shooter
    Large Format
    Are you sure that you are using the required amounts of chemical?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Never seen this before with other developers.

Reels are wased in hot water after use. Sometimes I scrub them, sometimes I don't.

Have not tried re-fixing film. It was fixed in almost fresh fixer, only three films had gone through it.

I used wetting agent after the wash. Same agent as usual.

I dried the film in my bathroom as usual. Not on the reel of course...

Thanks!!

*h

Images
    Were the spots on the top edge of the film as it stood in the tank? This would be a good place for bubbles to hide it they were at the top edge in the tank. You should perhaps try a set with the agitation at more frequent intervals. AGFA have been at it for many years and recommend vigorous agitation every 30 seconds. My own trials with Rodinal 1+50 and stand development showed various problems, but not this one. It is possible that the first agitation is not vigorous enough, and the spots have been made before the remaining agitation periods, so that even if the postulated bubbles are removed in subsequent periods, the development cannot catch up.
    Gadget Gainer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm with Gainer. Whenever I see a problem like this, it's invariably because of (a) insufficient developer to cover the reels, and/or (b) foaming at the top due to the reels sloshing back and forth along the centre column when the tank is inverted. Jam something in the tank to make sure the reels don't slide up and down. That has solved all of the "funny mark along the edge" problems for me when using 120 film.

PS. Are these from your new Mamiya 7?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I sure there was enough chemicals in the tank. About 1,6 litres. The thing is that all three rolls show the same marks. That should rule out insufficient amout of chemicals or foaming at the top.

So I guess the initial agitation should be increased. I will check if the reels can slide up and down and try to prevent it.

I looked over the previous batch I processed, three Acros 120 in rodinal 1+25, and they show the same patches, but not so intense. I'm leaning towards more vigorous and longer initial agitation. With such a large tank, the agitation is much slower. Maybe I'll have to do more milkshake-style agitation...

Jordan,
    yes, the top row is from the M7.

Thanks a lot for your thoughts! I will report back if I get other/better results.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I talked with my photo dealer today, and he said he had the same problems from time to time with other developers including XTOL. He had tried to get info on why, but found none. I'm leaning towards to little initial agitation. I will try this next: 2 120-rolls of tri-x in rodinal 1+50. I will use 1,1 litres developer. Agitation will be vigorous for the first _two_ minutes. Then four inversions at 4, 6, 8, 10, 12 minutes. Hopefully it shows an improvement.

Has anyone seen these patches with other developers, using paterson tanks?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Are you putting the reels into a full tank, or are you filling the tank with developer after loading the reels ?

The idea of initial agitation making ANY difference with Rodinal is outside my experience with the developer. Pouring the developer into a Paterson tank, though, seems to be more likely a source of trouble.

"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin