Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,564   Posts: 1,545,310   Online: 891

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Miller
    The recommended amount of fluid is, I think, around 60ml. This is more than enough to develope 4 sheets of 5"x4" film. Putting more fluid is is simply wastful.
    I just got round to experimenting with the orbital processor + motor drive using 60ml Prescysol at standard dilution for 8mins. Most results were excellent and this appears to be a really easy way of deving sheet film compared to trays/tubes, however, on one or two negs in areas of open tone (ZVI - ZVII) there is a strange mottling. Have you experienced this, Dave? My thinking is that 60ml of developer contains too little active agent for 4 sheets of 5x4 and results in uneven development. I used 1ml A, 3ml B, 56ml distilled water and presoaked for 5mins at 24 degrees C.

Though, thinking this through as I write, it seems I have miscalculated the proportions slightly for the total quantity. Maybe the excess proportion of solution A has had an adverse effect? Could incorrect temperature have a similar effect? Must check my thermometer.

Mark
    http://www.marktweedie.co.uk

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Mark
    No experience of Prescysol so can't comment on that aspect. I've used the Paterson Orbital & motor with both Rodinal and CM Pyro, but the big drawback with the orbital is always going to be the small quantities of developer and the accuracy needed for repeatable results. If you are using syringes then 1 or 2ml is OK, but any other way is making it hard to get accuracy between say 1.75 and 2.25 if you're actually trying for 2ml.

I agree with Dave that 55 or 60ml should be enough, but having tried the orbital with the lid off during washing, 100ml is not an unreasonable amount and will not spill even with the lid off, so should be perfectly fine for processing with the lid on. Hey, if we're bothered about the cost difference between 1 and 2ml of Rodinal / other developer then we're in the wrong game!

I've never had uneven development with the orbital, so can't help on the mottlling aspect, but think it is worthwhile persevering with the technique.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Black
    100ml is not an unreasonable amount and will not spill even with the lid off, so should be perfectly fine for processing with the lid on. Hey, if we're bothered about the cost difference between 1 and 2ml of Rodinal / other developer then we're in the wrong game!

I've never had uneven development with the orbital, so can't help on the mottlling aspect, but think it is worthwhile persevering with the technique.
    Thanks Peter, my plan was to double the quantities of developer which will also allow me to use the solutions up before they expire (not a problem with Rodinal, I know). There are other recommendations in this thread not to use the motor base so I will try to isolate the problem and, I hope, continue to use it as 8 minutes of continuous hand agitation is tedious to say the least!

Mark

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Why anyone should recommend that the motor base is not used is a mystery to me, after all it’s designed as an aid to consistent development.
    If you feel that there is insufficient active chemical in the mix / quantity then why not develop one sheet and check your results with that first. If it is satisfactory, then go to two sheets at a time, and so on. You can certainly increase the fluid volume if you wish, probably up to 180ml, and still leave room for the chemicals to churn. With regard to temperature I develop in ambient temperature, which in my darkroom is about 20 to 22ºC without ill effect, but accept that it is always better to be consistent.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for the suggestion Dave, I will certainly do some testing. I, too, struggle to process at a consistent 24ºC. Given that dilution is the thing with Prescysol I will probably start to process at 20ºC or thereabouts as I can easily maintain that consistently.
    Regards, Mark

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin