Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,707   Posts: 1,548,508   Online: 896

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Paterson orbital processor

Hi, anyone out there using the Paterson orbital processor for 5x4 and 8x10 black and white film? I have just bought one but don't have the motor base and wondered what speed I should rotate the unit by hand. How fast does the motor base do it - I am guessing several revolutions per minute but it would be really helpful to know.

Cheers

Paul

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The motorised base doesn’t rotate the dish, it rocks it in a circular motion at about 2 a minute. I’ve used mine for 5x4 with good results. I put beads of slow drying epoxy glue over the base so that the chemicals can get underneath the negatives, and make it easier to remove the wet negs.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    For intermittent agitation you can fill it to cover the neg and rock it back and forth by hand, carefully. Never a problem if the inside base is roughened up so the negs don't stick. I used sandpaper and scored with a utility knife. You can use it in a water bath for temp control.

bev

Shooter
    35mm
    Yes about 2 - 3 revs per minute.
    Rather than 'do things' to the base I used two strips of slightly folded old film across the base, secured by the red pins.
    Always put the film in emulsion side up of course.
    Dev times for continuous agitation have to be a bit shorter with the motor, but are very reproducible, and very economic with developer.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Motorsed drive on paterson orbital

My advice is 'Don't use the motor drive'.
    With more than 150ml of solution it is unstable and rotation is jerky. accompanied by 'bathtub' waves. If using less than 200 ml of most dilutions,say D76 1:1, there may not be sufficient developer agents to give optimum results. Observe the flow pattern over the surface of the negative(s)when using small quantities of fluid: you will see it gives copious agitation at the corners with less at the centre, promoting uneven development. Agitation by hand is a simulation of tank inversion agitation; five seconds every half minute for similar times. I use 'Four tilts' in five seconds, twice a minute, in a 'North, East, South, West' sequence, varying the start direction, and sequence, at each half minute.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The recommended amount of fluid is, I think, around 60ml. This is more than enough to develope 4 sheets of 5"x4" film. Putting more fluid is is simply wastful.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Is it not a problem with such little volume of developer to have enough to meet the minimum quantity recommended by the manufacturer. I commonly use rodinal at 1:50 for Efke 100. As I understand it I would need atleast 510ml of developer solution to ensure I use the minimum of 10ml of Rodinal or can I in reality get away with far less? If I was to use, say, 60ml total developer solution then this would only contain 1.17ml of Rodinal. Would be great for my wallet but is it possible?

Many thanks.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pauldc
    Is it not a problem with such little volume of developer to have enough to meet the minimum quantity recommended by the manufacturer. I commonly use rodinal at 1:50 for Efke 100. As I understand it I would need atleast 510ml of developer solution to ensure I use the minimum of 10ml of Rodinal or can I in reality get away with far less? If I was to use, say, 60ml total developer solution then this would only contain 1.17ml of Rodinal. Would be great for my wallet but is it possible?

Many thanks.
    The reason we use so much fluid in a standard tank is to cover the film. We only need 60ml in to do this in the orbital processor. I have used Ilford Ilfotec DD-X with 4 sheets of Ilford FP4+ without any problem. I had similar doubts to yours so started by developing just one sheet, then two, and finally four sheets when I was confident that it worked.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks Dave, I will give it a go tomorrow and report back on my results.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, this morning (when I should have been working), I used 100ml of water with 2ml of Rodinal to make the ratio of 1:50 and the negative came out great. I used 9.5 minutes of continous agitation (film was efke 100). I am happy!
    Thanks everyone

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin