Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,750   Posts: 1,515,750   Online: 1091

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Distilled water.

A friend of mine just gave me a case (24 liters) of distilled water. Could this H2o be used for film development and mixing my stop,fix, and hypo? Right now I only use distilled when making up my wetting agent.

Thanks,
    Mike

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I used distilled water for everything except rinsing. Though my well water is good, I know distilled is always pure and pretty much oxygen free.

Of course I distill my own (among other things

Images
    I should think you would use it for first and last (developer/prewet and wetting agent), but see no reason for stop or fix. I use it for last and mixing developer concentrates. My water is clean, but hard as a rock.
    Watch for Loose Gravel

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use distilled for the photo-flo. For mixing colour chemicals. Everything else I use tap water and we've got lots of chalk in the water.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use distilled water in leiu of photo-flo. I have much better results using just distilled water for the final two rinses of my film... no streaks, no spots, no need to buy Kodak haha
    Jeanette
    .................................................. ................
    Isaiah 25:1

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kennedy
    A friend of mine just gave me a case (24 liters) of distilled water. Could this H2o be used for film development and mixing my stop,fix, and hypo? Right now I only use distilled when making up my wetting agent.

Thanks,
    Mike
    Sure you can. If your local water supply is causing you problems, I'd recommend it. Generally though, it's really not necessary. If you choose to use it, reserve it for mixing up your developer and final rinse. If you are using PhotoFlo, be advised that the 1+200 dilution recommended by Kodak will more than likely be too strong and will make lots of foam - the cause of lots of trouble with the product. I'm diluting mine at anywhere from 1+400 to 1+500 with tap water, which in my neighborhood is ground water from Long Island, NY aquifers, and it works just fine. No streaks or spots anywhere.

Images
    I use rain water or dehumidifier water whenever there is a carbonate in my working solution because the calcium and magnesium in my well water precipitates a lot of carbonate that doesn't settle quickly. The hard water is good for my 78 year old heart, so they say. The humidifier is in my laundry room which is usually quite humid because the drier is inadequately vented to the outside. I have a sort of still, IOW. Yes, I know it is not sterile, but who guaranrees that the distilled water I buy at the supermarket is sterile?
    Gadget Gainer

Images
    Oops! I meant DEhumidifier, of course.
    Gadget Gainer

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BWGirl
    I use distilled water in leiu of photo-flo. I have much better results using just distilled water for the final two rinses of my film... no streaks, no spots, no need to buy Kodak haha
    I'm with you Jeanette. Since I started this practice I haven't had a single spot.
    James

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Calamity Jane
    I used distilled water for everything except rinsing. Though my well water is good, I know distilled is always pure and pretty much oxygen free.

Of course I distill my own (among other things
    If you are distilling your own, you can keep the O2 out. For those of us who buy at the store in plastic gallons, O2 probably diffuses in.

Ah well...

Matt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin