Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,813   Posts: 1,581,593   Online: 858

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Super XX

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Satinsnow
    I thought I remember it like that, SuperXX is an amunition we used to shoot in our hunting rifles!
    Dave
    Nope. Super X (one "X") is made by Winchester - the "other" Winchester Ammunition was "Super Speed". I have **NO** idea what the difference between the two was.

Kodak's film was Super XX (two "X"s).
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Kodak's film was Super XX (two "X"s) and pronounced Super Double X

lee\c

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I just happened upon this in my search for cheap film - $10 100 ft. rolls of 5222 are remarkably tempting for my Canonet.

How do you go about bulk rolling the stuff? Do cinema reels fit in Watson/Lloyd bulk loaders or is there some other process necessary?

(Perhaps if enough people were interested, we could lobby J&C or Freestyle to purchase and bulk-load the film for the same final cost as Classic Pan/Arista.EDU?)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Most any 35mm film will 'fit' in the loaders, it depends on if they need to be sprocketed, also another thing to take into account most movie films have a backing on it, that will need to be removed, and most film cameras like the canonet require a spocketed film to work, the un-spoketed films will not always load and advance corectly.

Dave

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

This was shot on Double-X cine stock. Grainy stuff, but kinda interesting. It's naturally a little less contrasty than most still films, because it's designed to be printed to print film for the screen, where it picks up some contrast.

Double-X and Super-XX are both medium speed b&w panchromatic films, but that's about where the similarity ends. Double-X doesn't have the huge density range that Super-XX had. The spectral sensitivity curve also looks different.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by celluloidpropaganda
    How do you go about bulk rolling the stuff? Do cinema reels fit in Watson/Lloyd bulk loaders or is there some other process necessary?
    I use these films extensively and really like them. Two things about bulk loading Eastman 5231 and 5222.

First, the film base is a bit thicker than still film and so you can only get about 30 exposures in a cassette. However, on the plus side this film dries complete flat, no cupping or twisting whatsoever!!!

Second, if the bulk roll is much longer than 100 feet the roll is too big to fit in bulk loaders. The core is also twice the diameter of a still film core. I rigged myself a winder to wind off smaller rolls from 400 foot rolls.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think this 5222 stuff is great for a vintage look. It reminds me of the Tri-X from about 1970. A little grainier than the modern Tri-X, but pretty forgiving overall. I just use my darkroom and wind it directly into the cassettes by hand from the 400 foot roll. I find the developing times are just about the same as with the 35mm Tri-X.

Quote Originally Posted by clay
    I think this 5222 stuff is great for a vintage look. It reminds me of the Tri-X from about 1970. A little grainier than the modern Tri-X, but pretty forgiving overall. I just use my darkroom and wind it directly into the cassettes by hand from the 400 foot roll. I find the developing times are just about the same as with the 35mm Tri-X.
    I shot some of the double X this weekend and the tonality looks good-just looking at the negatives.
    I also shot some 5302 Release Positive film I found in the store here. Seems to be about 4 ASA, needing perhaps a green filter, contrasty but could be tamed, and looks grainless. Tech Pan replacement?
    Mark
    Mark Layne
    Nova Scotia
    and Barbados

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have been debating buying some of the 5231. can you provide some info about your use of the stuff. ie. EI, developing times/temps, how it looks .... 99% of the shooting I do is "Sunny 16"
    Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mongo141
    I have been debating buying some of the 5231. can you provide some info about your use of the stuff. ie. EI, developing times/temps, how it looks .... 99% of the shooting I do is "Sunny 16"
    Dave
    Kodak rates 5231 at 80D (64T) and 5222 at 250D (200T). Both have reduced red sensitivity and higher blue sensitivity. These films are intended to be printed on higher than normal contrast positive film. I therefore suggest rating them at 125 and 400 respectively and extending development for higher contrast. I recommend HC-110 or Xtol for both films.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin