Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,592   Posts: 1,545,984   Online: 1050

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

options for accurately cutting 120 and 35mm negs?

What devices are cheaply attainable for making accurate cuts between 120 negs? I'd like something i can sit on the light table or something that's backlit already. I've already got scissors.
    I modified a pair of scissors when i was a loader to cut 35mm movie film across the holes in the dark. The arri BL4 and 35-3 magazines were easier to load that way. Anybody made anything for 120?
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I suppose you could get a small rotary cutter, like a 12" Rotatrim, but why is it so hard to do with a scissors, and how precise do you need it?
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's not hard but with most films but jandc classic 400 curls for me pretty bad. I've only messed up once and cut into the image area.
    Just because.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Put an eyelet or cup hook on the wall, hook your drying clip to this, pull it tight and start cutting at the opposite end (working towards the wall) this way you've eliminated the curl and the wall-hook acts as a 3rd hand to keep things straight when cutting. fwiw
    The Darkroom Studios ~ Brad Walker
    27 North Centre Street ~ Merchantville, NJ 08109
    856.488.1546 info@thedarkroomstudios.com
    "Film Ain't Dead Yet!"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I had a problem until I got a very small pair of scissors. They used to be in my fly-tying kit (before I made my last "mutant moth").

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Beside's scissors, does anyone have a cutter, maybe like the labs do?
    www.vinnywalsh.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Perhaps some combination of a light box, a straight edge, and an exacto knife would work out for you.

When I worked in a 1-hour lab, we had a backlit guillotine type device to cut and package negs quickly. I swear that tool was the source of lots of scratched negs.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarred McCaffrey
    Perhaps some combination of a light box, a straight edge, and an exacto knife would work out for you.

When I worked in a 1-hour lab, we had a backlit guillotine type device to cut and package negs quickly. I swear that tool was the source of lots of scratched negs.

I agree with that scratches can occasionally occur... At the store I work at we use a similar thing, and I always put my negs in long sleeving before running it through it... we don't use it for 120, we usually cut those by hand with scissors.
    --Ryan

"The negative is the equivalent of the composer's score, and the print the performance." ~Ansel Adams

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin