Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,295   Posts: 1,535,639   Online: 1111

Shooter
    35mm

Magenta TF3 fixer: Still OK?

I've just processed a roll of T-Max 100 (the old TMX variety) using XTOL, a water stop, and TF3 fixer. This is only the second time I've used TF3 (the first was with Fomapan 100 film), and to my surprise, the fixer came out of the developing tank with a magenta tint, like that which normally comes out from the hypo clear step. (My hypo clear was also magenta.) I've never seen this before, so my question is whether the TF3 fixer is still good. I'm hoping that whatever dyes have come off won't interfere with the fixer operation, but if there are any "gotchas" in store, I'll just call this batch exhausted and go back to Arista Premium Powdered fixer for TMX. Thanks for any advice.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There is no problem. This magenta color is a mixture of the sensitzing dyes and acutance (sharpness enhancing) dyes used in the film. They come out in the fix.

Just make sure you wash well.

A prewet before development is sometimes helpful in preventing this. Contrary to what many claim, it does no harm either, and actually helps prevent airbells.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks. I've never seen fixer take on color before, but I've also never used TF3 fixer with TMX. I just wanted to be sure the TMX wasn't "poisoning" the TF3. Is the dye coming out with the fixer because of TF3's pH (I've previously used traditional acidic fixers), or is something else at work here?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The dye(s) are more soluable in the alkaline fix, I guess. I have not specifically run a test. I know that they dissolve in plain water if you use a prewet, and they dissolve slowly as you wash the film after fixing in a normal acidic fix.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks again. I guess I'll try a prewet next time, although based on what you've said the dye doesn't do any harm to the fixer.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin