Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,770   Posts: 1,516,518   Online: 773

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Efke Frustration--Advice Needed, Please.

I bought some Efke 25 and 100 in 120 roll film and have been using it over the past couple of months. It seems everyone else loves this film and I have seen beautiful examples of what others have done with. I do not seem to be having the same the experience. Even in the 25 I have very visible grain in 8 x 8 enlargements. With the 25 I rated it at 25. I developed it in Rodinal 1:100 for 18 minutes at 21 degrees C. As far as grain goes it is better looking grain than other films, but 400 speed Tmax and Tri-X that I have shot during the same sessions under the same conditions exhibit MUCH less grain.
    The one exception is the time that I accidently underexposed it by 4 stops and developed it 1:100 for 20 minutes. The negs were so thin they made Kate Moss look obese, but they scanned pretty well. Am I taking the wrong approach in my development. I garnered my times from the responses I received from a thread I posted when I first got the film.

Generally I am shooting outside either under overcast skies or in the shade. Contrast has not been a problem, more a lack of contrast. I will try to post some examples, but I never could get the file size right when I tried it the other day. I will see what I can work out tonight.

One factor may be that I am scanning the negs and printing the D-word way. It is for school and we are printing that way this semester and I HATE it! I am going to try to get in the darkroom this week and see how they look in there, but I don't know what difference it will make.

Any advice you guys might have would be appreciated. I know this film is capable of amazing results, I just need to figure out how to obtain them.

Thanks in advance--I know someone will have the answer for me!

Sunny

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I get my best results shooting Efke 25 at 12, and developing for nine minutes in Rodinal 1:100 with normal agitation. I know you can shoot it the way that you are, but I've gotten amazing results by slowing down the film and shortening the development time. (The time is at 20C, by the way.) Since it's already such a slow film I imagine that you're using it on a tripod...another stop shouldn't kill anything.

The fact that you're not seeing much contrast leads me to believe that you're not getting the real quality that the film is capable of regardless of the grain issue. Efke 25 is a high contrast film by nature, so if you're getting low contrast then you've got some pretty big problems. Give ASA12 a try and see if that doesn't clear up your problems.

(By the way, I sometimes scan negatives in place of making proof sheets, and I've never had grain issues with Efke 25...I don't think it's anything inherent in the film.)

Best of luck,
    Dave
    Film is cheap. Opportunities are priceless.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    This thumbnail is an example.

Dave,

I will try down rating it and see what happens. Thank you.

Most of the time I shooting the Efke handheld in my big clunky Kiev trying to keep up with two daughters under the age of 4--I have less out of focus shots than I do with my AE-1 and a zoom lens.
    Attached Images

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnyroller
    Even in the 25 I have very visible grain in 8 x 8 enlargements.
    On what planet did you buy this film? The only film on planet Earth exhibiting finer grain than Efke 25 is Kodak Technical Pan. Unless you used Martian Efke, I'd say somebody slipped a ringer in on you.

I don't get grain visible to the naked eye with 400TMax 120 roll film enlarged to 8x8, even when the film is developed in ABC pyro which is notorious for exaggerated grain.

The attached was shot on Efke R50, which is the same orthopanchromatic emulsion as 25 with one stop more speed. The enlargement was about 8 x 8. No matter how much you zoom in on it, you won't see any grain. This negative is also quite thin. I had to use grade 3-1/2 to get a good print out of it.

BTW, I didn't see any grain in your attached photograph. I zoomed in quite a bit. The tones are muddy as hell, but it seems quite smooth and sharp.
    Last edited by c6h6o3; 12-26-2008 at 05:47 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Don't think I did that right

Oops! I guess I don't know how to attach a thumbnail. I will read through and figure out how to do it.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I got it from J & C. I figure it is something I am doing wrong. My dad always said I could tear up a steel anvil with a feather! :-)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Here is the one that is 4 stops underexposed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MAJKitchenEfkeUnd4stopupload.png  

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Finally here is an example of one that is really grainy. Thanks for your patience with my uploading learning curve.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MAJJeepLookingBack2upload.png  

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnyroller
    Finally here is an example of one that is really grainy. Thanks for your patience with my uploading learning curve.
    Actually, it was better as an attachment because then it opened in photoshop and I could zoom in on it. I can't really enlarge the thumbnail to see the grain.

Would it be possible for you to scan the negative? That would tell us more, I think.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Those are from scans I did earlier this week. 300 dpi from 2.25 x 2.25 to 8 x 8

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin