Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,824   Posts: 1,581,955   Online: 944

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Terrance, with regards to Ilford MGWT, you might be able to cool the image down a bit by using a cool-tone developer. I have been using a phenidone/ascorbate developer with benzotriazole as the restrainer, and the prints are noticeably less "green" than when developed with a neutral or warmtone developer that uses a lot of potassium bromide. A shorter duration in the toning bath with a more diluted selenium toner will avoid the drastic color shift as well.
    Unfortunately, there isn't anything to do about the warmer base of MGWT if you don't like that quality. Hope this helps.

All the best,
    Daniel

Shooter
    Multi Format
    [QUOTE=Terrance Hounsell]

That said I find that the MGIV warm tone is too warm. ANY SUGGESTION FOR COOLING IT DOWN ? I must say though that if you can stand the intense warmth it split tones very well in selenium.

Add Benzotriazole to the working developer to both cool the print colour and give a slight increase in contrast. Some printers use 10 to 15ml of a 10% solution of Benzotriazole, I have always mixed 1 gr to 500ml water and used from 50 to 100ml in the working developer. Another way to cool warmtone paper is to gently gold tone the final print.
    "Digital circuits are made from analogue parts"
    Fourtune Cookie-Brooklyn May 2006

Island Heights, NJ, but will retire back to Maine.
    Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Terrance Hounsell

That said I find that the MGIV warm tone is too warm. ANY SUGGESTION FOR COOLING IT DOWN ? I must say though that if you can stand the intense warmth it split tones very well in selenium.
    Use a cold-tone developer; the Darkroom Cookbook has several formulas, and use benzotriazole rather than potassium bromide as your restrainer in the developer. BZT always gives colder tones than KBr.

Phenidone/Ascorbic Acid developers with BZT will sometimes give colder tones than Metol/HQ developers, but not always, depending on what else is in them.

Larry

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I liked the Agfa papers also, closest I found to my own liking was Forte. But since it seems hit or miss with them, will try the Ilford MGWT with Benzotriazole a try...Thanks Les, once again you are a gem.
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    35mm

no more AGFA MC FB in stock

Before thinking about the potential replacement, have you started to buy the AGFA MC FB in stock? I'm still thinking about using this paper for my portfolio for a series of photos.

In Japan, where I live, the distributor has no more stock of this paper, and all the major retail stores are holding back theirs on the shelves. One chain store I went to yesterday wouldn't even transfer it from another store, which means I might have to drive around the entire country and dig every store to find it!

If the worst comes worst, I might switch to Fuji Rembrandt graded paper (perhaps grade#2) as a replacement because of it availability as a domestic product... sigh.

How are the situations in your countries? Is there still plenty left to use?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Les McLean
    Ilford do Warmtone a fibre paper that fits your requirements and is designed to tone. Fotospeed also do Legacy which is similar to the spec you listed. Fotospeed papers are available from Freestyle in the US.
    Les, out of curiosity, do you know which company makes Legacy VC paper for Fotospeed?
    I remember reading some years ago that their lith paper was made for them by Sterling and then Sterling disappeared.
    Both of those papers should be suitable alternatives although I think I would tend to lean towards the Ilford product.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Tapscott.
    Les, out of curiosity, do you know which company makes Legacy VC paper for Fotospeed?
    I remember reading some years ago that their lith paper was made for them by Sterling and then Sterling disappeared.
    Both of those papers should be suitable alternatives although I think I would tend to lean towards the Ilford product.
    Try both legacy and ilford WT as they are quite different. Legacy has wonderful depth to it and is my favourite of the two but you might prefer the ilford for your work.

The legacy base is a touch thin so be careful with bigger prints. Splits nicely in selenium too.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Tapscott.
    Keith I do know where Legacy is made but have been asked not to divulge the source, sorry. The Sterling factory in India has been demolished and I understand has been replaced by a shopping centre, Sterling Lith was an excellent paper. Legacy is different from Ilford Warmtone and I would suggest that you try both.
    "Digital circuits are made from analogue parts"
    Fourtune Cookie-Brooklyn May 2006

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Les McLean
    Keith I do know where Legacy is made but have been asked not to divulge the source, sorry. The Sterling factory in India has been demolished and I understand has been replaced by a shopping centre, Sterling Lith was an excellent paper. Legacy is different from Ilford Warmtone and I would suggest that you try both.
    I can understand that, I don`t blame Fotospeed for keeping the source a secret.
    Thanks for replying.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin