Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,957   Posts: 1,586,061   Online: 866

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Bergger BPF-200 film?

hi

I'm a large format newbie, and browsing for film, I found the BPF-200 film:
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation

can someone please help me with details about this film? is it any good?

thanks

roy

Images
    Depends on what you consider good. This is the same as JandC classic 200. I really like it in the right conditions. it has very little expansion. maybe +1.5 I have yet to get it beyond +1 with pyrocat HD

I use POP which needs a really contrasty neg. In the right light I find the negs to be exquisit.

I do not know about regular silver printing maybe someone who has used it for that can tell you.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

NER

Images
    BPF 200 is an excellent film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It is made by Forte and there is some debate as to whether it is identical to their 200 speed film or not. If it is, and I suspect so, than there are much cheaper sources for it that from Bergger, who charge a premium for the film. I don't think you are likely to order from them in Norway, but J&C's version sells for about half the price. As does the house brand from Freestyle, which is also the same thing.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I have used and do not like BPF 200. It is hyped far beyond it's inherent characteristics. It sucks badly insofar as it's ability to build density range.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I recently did an informal comparison by loading BPF 200 in 15 odd numbered holders and then 15 sheets of TMX in the flip side (even numbered holders). I shot the same images using both films one after the other. The exposures were based on BPF 200 rated at 100 ISO and TMX 100 rated at 50. All were processed processed in D-23. The difference was night and day. The TMX had at least a full stop more shadow detail. Can't see myself buying too much more BPF 200. But try it for yourself as the diet adverts say "Indiviual result may vary". You may find the "Look" suitable for vintage style photographs.
    Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Roy!

Quote Originally Posted by RoyK
    hi
    I'm a large format newbie, and browsing for film, I found the BPF-200 film, is it any good?
    I have a few sheets of this film (JandC classic 200), just send me a PM if you want to try it out before you by a box. I'm located in Oslo as well.

Trond

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've used it a little. It's more a 50-80 EI film; and when developed normally, it's grain is larger than HP5+ and Tri-x, both of which are significantly faster. I used it in 4x5, and it would be OK at 16x20 for N development, but no larger (in my opinion, of course.) That said, it looks pretty good in PMK. For N+ development or roll-film use, I'd avoid it like the plaque, unless you were going for a grainy look. (I like grainy film, but not when I'm shooting large format.)

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mark
    Depends on what you consider good. This is the same as JandC classic 200. I really like it in the right conditions. it has very little expansion. maybe +1.5 I have yet to get it beyond +1 with pyrocat HD

I use POP which needs a really contrasty neg. In the right light I find the negs to be exquisit.

I do not know about regular silver printing maybe someone who has used it for that can tell you.
    My experience is that the *current* JandC 200 is the same film as *current* Forte 200 and Bergger BPF 200, though I have found some significant differences between emulson batches.

For silver printing it is not a bad film. It can be developed to a CI of about .90, which allows for development down to about N+2, which should cover most all low contrast scenes for regular silver printing.

If you are using alternative processes, including POP, I would recommend it only for high and medium contrast scenes. For low contrast scenes this film will not give enough contrast, without contrast controls, since the maximum CI does not allow enough contrast for anything less than about SBR 6 or N+1, when the ES of your process is log 1.75 greater, as is case with palladium, kallitype, POP, vandyke and salted paper.

Sandy

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sanking

If you are using alternative processes, including POP, I would recommend it only for high and medium contrast scenes. For low contrast scenes this film will not give enough contrast, without contrast controls, since the maximum CI does not allow enough contrast for anything less than about SBR 6 or N+1, when the ES of your process is log 1.75 greater, as is case with palladium, kallitype, POP, vandyke and salted paper.

Sandy

And that would be the only time I use the film. That is why I said, in the right conditions it is a great film.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin