Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,523   Posts: 1,572,293   Online: 807

Shooter
    Multi Format

Rodinal semi-stand vs Diafine for mixed exposures

I know these are very different developers and I have some idea of how they might produce different results, but I have a couple questions about my particular application.

I shot some HP5+ Saturday in a Diana (it was World Toy Camera Day), which has very little exposure control and thus the exposures are pretty much all over the scale (well, +- 2 or 3). There were a lot of mountain vistas, for which detail would be nice, relatively speaking. I used a red filter for most of the shots. Obviously I'm not anxious to meet f/64 sanctioned standards :P but I'd like to mitigate the blocked shadows. I don't mind graininess.

How might Rodinal (with semi-stand) and Diafine compare in shadow detail, and in how they'd treat the highlights? What about apparent sharpness? Is Diafine a "solvent" developer (softens the grain?)? Which would you use? Thanks in advance!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use Diafine all the time with my Holga negs and it goes a long way towards evening out the exposure compared to other developers I have used (D-76 and DDX) It is also slightly less grainy than the others, IME. Sorry I cannot offer a direct compare with Rodinal.
    Last edited by PhotoPete; 10-24-2005 at 09:10 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: can't spell

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin