Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,964   Posts: 1,523,310   Online: 1217

Procat with sodium carbonate

Would anybody know what the formula would be for solution B of pyrocat if sodium carbonate was used instead of potassium carbonate. Also, what would the technical differences between the two carbonates from an image perspective?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Try this thread from a couple days ago:

http://www.apug.org/forums/showthrea...ocat+carbonate

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I just researched that and found what I needed to know on www.unblinkingeye.com under the articles. Sandy King wrote a great piece on Pyrocat HD Read that and somewhere it talks about substituting Sod Carb for Pot Carb. What I did today was went to the grocery store and bought Arm and Hammer Washing Soda and used 200grams in 1 liter of water. Then when you make the stock you need to use the 1+5+100 or 2+10+100 depending which dilution you use. I have not tested this yet but according to Sandy that Sod Carb will act exactly as Pot Carb has or does.

lee\c

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lee
    I just researched that and found what I needed to know on www.unblinkingeye.com under the articles. Sandy King wrote a great piece on Pyrocat HD Read that and somewhere it talks about substituting Sod Carb for Pot Carb. What I did today was went to the grocery store and bought Arm and Hammer Washing Soda and used 200grams in 1 liter of water. Then when you make the stock you need to use the 1+5+100 or 2+10+100 depending which dilution you use. I have not tested this yet but according to Sandy that Sod Carb will act exactly as Pot Carb has or does.

lee\c
    What Lee says is correct. There is no difference in image quality between sodium carbonate and potassium carbonate in the Pyrocat-HD formula. I tested both carbonates extensively and eventually established the standard formula with potassium carbionate because it is much more soluble in water than sodium carbonate, about j100% compared to 20-25%. I personally find the 1:1:100 or 2:2:100 dilutions simpler to work with than 1:5:100 or 2:10:100, but others may find advantages in the cheaper sodium carbonate, which is often also available locally, say in home and pool supply stores. But the bottom line is that they both give the same results, assuming you adjust for strength.

Sandy

Thanks for your replies Sandy and Lee. I will try sodium carbonate with the metol version.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Na Carb

I've only used the Na Carbonate formula since that is what I had handy. Seems to work fine and produces some excellant negatives. Hats off to Sandy King!
    Peter

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by aligndont
    Thanks for your replies Sandy and Lee. I will try sodium carbonate with the metol version.

OK, but there are slight differences in results between the metol and phenidone versions, unlike sodium versus potassium carbonate.

The metol version, with equivalent dilution and agitation, gives slightly more apparent sharpness, but slightly less EFS. You would probably not be aware of the difference unless you tested carefully with good control of your sensitometry and plotting, but the slight differences noted are there, at least in my testing.

Sandy

Shooter
    35mm
    For myself I put the amount of A solution into a liter of water and then directly add washiing soda to that mixture. For example if I am using 10 ml of solution A in a liter of water I simply add 7.5 grams of washing soda. It will go into solution very easily and I find weighing it no more trouble than measuring it.
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Claire;

I do it the other way round: Dissolve the carbonate first, then pour in the A solution.

I don't like the "trails" of oxidised developer after the sinking bits of carbonate - the other way round looks less scary.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Today, I developed film with pyrocat hd using Sodium Carbonate instead of Potassium Carbonate. I used the ratio of 2+10+100 as suggested by Sandy King. The color of the unused was a nice light brown color. The negs were stained great and looked great.

lee\c

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin