Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,695   Posts: 1,549,054   Online: 1031

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    [QUOTE=Curt

You have to look at why people hoard in the first place. I myself have bricks and bricks of 120 Panatomic-x and boxes and boxes of Super-xx film. I don't even use it now and wonder why I bought so much. I really need to through it all out. The new films are better because they are fresh. I have a case of Rodinal in the large bottles, I'm dumping them too. No need to buy such large quantities for what might be. I recently got rid of a lot of paper, Kodabromide and some of the older Oriental in large sizes. I contact print and use a completely different method.[/QUOTE]

You can send the stuff to me if you like.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt
    You have to look at why people hoard in the first place. I myself have bricks and bricks of 120 Panatomic-x and boxes and boxes of Super-xx film. I don't even use it now and wonder why I bought so much. I really need to through it all out.
    I'd be happy to to take the film off your hands if you are seriously going to throw it out. I don't care what format it is, I use them all. I'll pay for postage. Shall I PM you my address? (I'm serious)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt
    The quality will be greater if the large supply you got is shared with others and used in a normal manner..... You have to look at why people hoard in the first place.
    Hi Curt,

I purchased 2 bottles of Rodinal and 1 bottle of Sistan. By no means a large supply. I predicted this would suit my needs over the next 10 years. I also don't exclusively use AGFA chemistry.
    I also purchased 9 bottles of Neutol Plus because there is no other commercially available paper developer to replace it. After 10 years if my methods to optimise its freshness don't work, then I will begin to notice a drop off in developer activity and I assume I will simply get fewer prints per bottle. At least this gives me time to work out how to mix up something like it myself - since I'm not a chemist and don't like my chances of getting a solution (pun intended) straight away.
    I know of no other people in Australia on APUG or otherwise who use Neutol Plus, so it's entirely likely that my buying up the last of a retailer's stocks actually saved the Neutol Plus from being written off in a bargain bin just before it expires anyway and would then be of little use. It definitely doesn't share the same popularity as Rodinal.

There must be thousands of bottles of chemistry simply sitting on store shelves 'going off', do you petition to the retailers and producers to be smarter about how they distribute and market it so that it doesn't go to waste?

regards
    Peter

laz
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Claire Senft
    I would be very cautious about storing chemical with the family's food.
    I'd go even further and fairly scream Don't do it at all!
    [SIZE=1]I want everything Galli has![/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]I want to make images like Gandolfi![/SIZE]
    rlazell@optonline.net

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterB
    I also purchased 9 bottles of Neutol Plus because there is no other commercially available paper developer to replace it. After 10 years if my methods to optimise its freshness don't work, then I will begin to notice a drop off in developer activity and I assume I will simply get fewer prints per bottle.
    If it's like XTOL (another PC developer) in its failure mode, it could just completely and suddenly fail to work.

What is it you find so special about Neutol Plus? Perhaps somebody could offer a suggestion for an alternative. If you simply like PC developers, check out Ryuji Suzuki's DS-14, which is a mix-it-yourself PC developer.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by srs5694
    If it's like XTOL (another PC developer) in its failure mode, it could just completely and suddenly fail to work.
    Possible, although purely speculative. Surely there would be reports to date since this developer has been in use for more than a couple of years.

What is it you find so special about Neutol Plus? Perhaps somebody could offer a suggestion for an alternative. If you simply like PC developers, check out Ryuji Suzuki's DS-14, which is a mix-it-yourself PC developer.
    Yes, DS-14 would be a good replacement. The only problem is that I'd rather not start mixing things for myself unless I am forced to. Chemistry is not my forte, and I'd rather spend what little spare time I have on improving my other skills in photorgaphy.

regards
    Peter

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I have recently purchased enough AGFA chemistry to last me at least 10 years at my current rate of consumption. They all came in plastic bottles (HDPE). Other postings have mentioned the idea of transferring the liquids to amber glass bottles and then sealing out the air with a squirt of protectan. I really only want to do this if someone can give me a good reason to. For example, does plastic allow oxygen to pass? As it is I will already have them in a small refrigerator (cold and no light).

FWIW, the products I purchased are Rodinal (yeah I know it lasts forever - but in a plastic bottle - they used to come in glass), Neutol Plus and Sistan.

So is there any disadvantage to keeping my liquid chemical concentrates in their original plastic containers?

regards
    Peter

I havent read the replies yet, but I will tell you this: I hadnt used my darkroom in a few years. I recently went in and picked up a bottle of Agfa Neutol that I had used a small amount of several years ago, squeezed the air out, and resealed. Well the bottle was empty, having drained out through an area near the base that had slightly creased and weakened when I squeezed it. So be careful, and dont do as I did. I have an unabused plastic bottle full of Rodinal that is even older, and of course its fine (though I dont know about the contents yet).

Shooter
    35mm
    Possible, although purely speculative. Surely there would be reports to date since this developer has been in use for more than a couple of years.
    It's true that this is speculative; I just wanted to alert you to the possibility, as this seems to be a common theme with PC developers. (I've heard that Paterson's FX-50 can fail suddenly, too.) If you hadn't already gone out and bought your stock, I'd suggest researching it first. As it is, I guess that if your paper developer fails suddenly, it's at least not as bad as having a film developer fail suddenly.

Yes, DS-14 would be a good replacement. The only problem is that I'd rather not start mixing things for myself unless I am forced to. Chemistry is not my forte, and I'd rather spend what little spare time I have on improving my other skills in photorgaphy.
    So is it the PC composition that appeals to you, or something else? If something else, as I said, perhaps somebody can suggest an alternative. If it's just the PC composition, I don't know of any other commercial PC paper developers.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I know of only one developer that recommends increasing storage life by placing it in the refrigerator. That developer is Ethol TEC.

As a preservation method I would not recommend storing any other developer, particularly a highly concentrated one such as Rodinal, in the refrigerator. It is highly likely that certain constituents will crystallize out and be very difficult to redissolve.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Curt You could throw some XX up here towards renton.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin