Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 72,556   Posts: 1,599,315   Online: 958

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    But does/will FOMA make a replacement for the fiber-based paper by AGFA?
    Yes, they will do. I will keep APUG updated:

>> Fomabrom Var. is produced in the following sizes:
    12,7 x 17,8 cm/25, 100
    17,8 x 24 cm/10, 25
    24 x 30,5 cm/10, 25
    30,5 x 40,6 cm/10
    50,8 x 61 cm/10
    Rolle 108 cm/10m.
    In case you would like to order this goods...........
    and the production of it is finished in this days.
    I suppose dispatching by DHL next week. Thank you for your understanding.

With regards
    Dana Hojná
    <<

So far the comments from the Foma export dpt. (E-mail from Wednesday 26-10-2005)

Best regards,

Robert

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by firecracker
    Fogged by its age? I've never had a problem like that, maybe I usually use it up before its exiration date.
    Yes that is what I was referring to. I suppose this thread was started in reference to Agfa paper lovers who might stock up large quantities of Agfa paper now that the company is being dissolved. Unfortunately Agfa paper seems to be a poor candidate for long term storage due to poor keeping properties. The paper I had was only a few months past expiration and displayed some slight fogging. I remember seeing a study some time back that showed Agfa films and papers as being poor candidates for long term storage but can't seem to locate it. Fotohuis has apparently seem similar findings in his own personal study but it would be interesting if anyone had any in-depth research on the keeping properties of products by various manufacturers. Obviously its ideal to use film and paper as soon as possible and within the expiration date, but with products being pulled at an alarming rate this info may be of use to some.

Shooter
    Holga
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Lawton
    I like MCC and find it to be a good paper but some of the stuff I have that is only recently past the expiration date is clearly fogged as well.
    Is there some secret code on paper (and film) boxes that tells you the expiration date (or born date)? I haven't been able to decypher one. And usually when I got "oh lookie, I've been looking for that paper forever" in a store, the dust on the cover is the only marker of age.

Then again, a few years ago I bought a bottle of ECCO 121 that had packaging in a font that hasn't been used since the 60s.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I recently finished up a box of Agfa MCC paper that I forgot I had. The expiration date was 2 years ago and it was kept in my spare bedroom. There was no fogging or anything.

Shooter
    35mm

PLEASE POST MORE ON THE "FOG" ISSUE

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Lawton
    Yes that is what I was referring to. I suppose this thread was started in reference to Agfa paper lovers who might stock up large quantities of Agfa paper now that the company is being dissolved.
    Thanks for your comment. Sorry about my taking a while to get back here. But yes, I read the beginning of this thread before I started to comment here thinking about the same thing as you do. But it didn't look like this thread was appealing to many AGFA users at this point.

I had noticed one of the older threads a couple of weeks ago regarding this topic, but it was rather about the users moaning for the farewell than their inquiring for the near future, which would've been helpful at this stage. So, I didn't know where to comment or start asking for advice.

In Japan, which is where I live, (I always have to say this because it's not really the same market as the U.S and European markets that you might think of) the news about AGFA seems not really that big of a deal even among its long-time users because there's been hardly anything that appears on a Google search. By the way, "FOMA" is known as a name of a cellular phone (or a celluar phone company) than more than anything else over here. And I have to confess that I had never heard of that name in the photography field until very recently because my choices were always either Ilford or AGFA.

I don't want to give an impression of a "me-me-me" thing to anyone, but I'm hoping we can further inquire for the information that we all can share. So, let us have as many posts/comments on the "fog" issue with AGFA expired photo paper.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by jvarsoke
    Is there some secret code on paper (and film) boxes that tells you the expiration date (or born date)?
    It's on the bottom of the sticker on the box as far as I know. The expiration date on the more recent one I have is this coming December, but this product didn't seem to have sat in the store for more than six months. I got older ones (2 packages of 25-sheet envelopes) that have expiration dates on this past Semtember, but I haven't opened them yet, not because I was saving them but just didn't get to use them yet. So, if the fog issue is so serious and happens to almost of all paper by AGFA, I'll be screwed!

But again, I have never had this problem before including this year.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by firecracker
    By the way, "FOMA" is known as a name of a cellular phone (or a celluar phone company) than more than anything else over here. And I have to confess that I had never heard of that name in the photography field until very recently because my choices were always either Ilford or AGFA.
    FWIW, Foma isn't a big name in the photographic field in the US, either. To the best of my knowledge, until recently it was only available in the US from a single supplier, J&C, although Paterson also sold at least one Foma emulsion under its own name -- but that wasn't the most widely distributed, either. Foma products are now a bit more common, if nothing else because Freestyle has begun distributing them under its new low-end house label, as well as under the Foma brand. Foma gets mentioned on APUG a lot because the people here are very knowledgeable about what's out there, and frequently shop at specialty outfits like J&C.

Shooter
    35mm
    Could anyone post comments on the quality of FOMA? Is it substancially good in use(like in the same pool as ILFORD, AGFA, KODAK, etc)? Does any of FOMA's products have similar characteristics to the ones that are manufactured by other brands (other than the discontinued AGFA)?

Because I have a feeling if I want to use it, I might have to get it shipped from another country. The handling (and the cost and time) on the air travel is what I'm mostly concerned about. So, if anyone could give me good analysis on the product(s), I could decide whether I want to hold it off or not in this stage and start looking for something else that is easlier to get.

Thanks.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by srs5694
    Foma gets mentioned on APUG a lot because the people here are very knowledgeable about what's out there, and frequently shop at specialty outfits like J&C.
    I see. Thanks. Have you used it before? How is it like to you compared to others?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    For more information: http://www.foma.cz/foma/dokumenty/FotoDownload.asp

Here is their catalogue available. (Click on English!)

We have already 7 years experience with their photographic materials. Not always on the same level like e.g. Ilford but reasonable materials and their price-quality is certainly OK.

Best regards,

Robert

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin