Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,940   Posts: 1,557,448   Online: 848

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Ilford.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Fotohuis
    For more information: http://www.foma.cz/foma/dokumenty/FotoDownload.asp

Here is their catalogue available. (Click on English!)

We have already 7 years experience with their photographic materials. Not always on the same level like e.g. Ilford but reasonable materials and their price-quality is certainly OK.

Best regards,

Robert
    Yes, I saw the website, which I checked with your earlier post. Thanks a lot. But you're in Netherlands, so, I'm assuming Foma is available in the EU countries and perhaps it's becoming popular there. I saw another post by someone else, he said Foma is still small in the U.S market but many people know about it now. I'm sure the demand will increase because of what happened to AGFA. Okay I have to find a way to try the paper somehow. It's going to be a bit of a project because I'm in the Japanese market, and I don't know where the future is for the imported photo supplies.

Thanks.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Foma is still small in the U.S market
    They are so small in the US market that our Fotohuis and Fotoimpex Berlin have to buy Fomapan 400 films directly from the Czech market, because in Hradec Kralové (Cz) the factory is not able to produce the right quantities for the European market. Maybe it has someting to do with Agfa Photo or Freestyle in the US or B&H New York. I do not know.

We have the same problem here with the Fuji products: Not everything from them is available in Europe, specially not the larger formats on Provia F, Acros 100 a.s.o.
    Fuji could be the only multinational in the analogue photobusiness who could be successfull in the future. They have a large factory here in Holland (Tilburg) but there they are only making the color emulsions.

Freight sending over to Japan or VV. to Europe is very expensive. But maybe in the future we also have to work about this problem.........

best regards, indeed, from the Netherlands,
    whish you a nice day.

Robert

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Fotohuis
    We have the same problem here with the Fuji products: Not everything from them is available in Europe, specially not the larger formats on Provia F, Acros 100 a.s.o.
    Fuji could be the only multinational in the analogue photobusiness who could be successfull in the future. They have a large factory here in Holland (Tilburg) but there they are only making the color emulsions.

Freight sending over to Japan or VV. to Europe is very expensive. But maybe in the future we also have to work about this problem.........
    Yes, Robert, we will work it out in the future. And I hope we can get rid of the blockage for the beer business also (as a joke) because people are always craving for good stuff all round the world!

Thanks for your many replies. You have a good day, too.

Firecracker

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by firecracker
    I see. Thanks. Have you used it before? How is it like to you compared to others?
    Foma films are thinner than most (that is, physically thinner; I'm not talking about the image density), with poor or no anti-halation layers. This doesn't matter for most shots, but can make a difference in night photography or if you catch a highly reflective object in sunlight. You might or might not like the result. Most people say they're grainier than products of similar speed from Kodak or Ilford, but my own subjective experience is that they're about the same. (This is comparing them to conventional films, not T-grain emulsions.) There's something about the grain pattern of Foma films (especially Fomapan 400) that I like, but I can't really describe it. Whatever it is, it tends to enhance the moodiness of certain types of photos (abandoned buildings, that sort of thing).

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by srs5694
    Most people say they're grainier than products of similar speed from Kodak or Ilford, but my own subjective experience is that they're about the same.
    I see. Thanks for the analysis. It might be good for some purposes.

I have to explore more in the Eastern European market. I've found out the marketing of Foma in Japan is the same as Forte, which has been known as one of the top-ends, meaning pretty expensive! But there's got to be a way to get those photo supplies more cost-effectively and time-efficiently, I hope.

Meanwhile because of all this, I'm leaning towards Fuji Rembrandt graded paper for its availability in the market that is consistent.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by firecracker
    I have to explore more in the Eastern European market. I've found out the marketing of Foma in Japan is the same as Forte, which has been known as one of the top-ends, meaning pretty expensive!
    The US mail-order retailer Freestyle sells Foma, both as such as under one of its many house brands, "Arista.EDU Ultra" (the "Ultra" part is important; "Arista.EDU" is Forte -- or was, before Freestyle switched suppliers). Their house-brand prices are pretty low, at least by US standards. I don't know what shipping to Japan would cost or how exchange rates and relative product prices would affect things, but you might look into the possibility of ordering the house brand from Freestyle. If you prefer the OEM brand, I believe that J&C (again in the US) is less expensive. J&C also sells some other Eastern European brands, such as Efke. It might be cheaper to order from a European supplier, but I don't have URLs handy.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by srs5694
    The US mail-order retailer Freestyle sells Foma, both as such as under one of its many house brands, "Arista.EDU Ultra" (the "Ultra" part is important; "Arista.EDU" is Forte -- or was, before Freestyle switched suppliers). Their house-brand prices are pretty low, at least by US standards. I don't know what shipping to Japan would cost or how exchange rates and relative product prices would affect things, but you might look into the possibility of ordering the house brand from Freestyle. If you prefer the OEM brand, I believe that J&C (again in the US) is less expensive. J&C also sells some other Eastern European brands, such as Efke. It might be cheaper to order from a European supplier, but I don't have URLs handy.
    Thank you very much for the info. Very helpful. It's just this thing that the concept of free market hardly seems to exist in Japan when it comes down to the price-setting of B&W photo supplies, which sometimes bothers me.

Shooter
    35mm
    I just checked the prices on Foma at Free Style. They are about the same as the ones on Japan but with more variety. Gee, where's the concept of free market today?

Anyway enough of whining about the prices. I'm off to go find an alternative for the alternative for the AGFA paper now.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin