Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,218   Posts: 1,532,213   Online: 869

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Why not to stock up too much photopaper

Due to the news of discontinued products from Agfa Photo we terminated our photopaper test, initiated in 1997 since we have gone professional.

Tested papers (all three from one, the same package, Tetenal los variables), sealed and stored in the fridge -10 till -12 degrees C.
    Tetenal Vario test set: containing:
    TT vario comfort (Ilford MG IV, OEM product)
    TT vario Ultra (Agfa MCP, OEM product)
    TT baryt vario (Agfa MCC, baryt, OEM product)

Our testresults after almost 8 years in the fridge:

TT vario comfort: Perfect, no fog, measured with the densitometer 0,04 logD over white. Nice contrast, no difference with a new package MGIV paper.
    TT vario Ultra: fogged, densitometer 0,20 logD over white, Grey photo, no deep blacks anymore.
    TT baryt vario: heavily fogged, densitometer 0,45 logD over white, that means, you can throw the whole package away.

All measurements are done with the Heiland TRD-Z densitometer and all exposures are done with the Heiland Split Grade, set on the appropriate paper setting and all negatives were measured with the probe with 0,01 logD accuracy from the same negative.

Summurized: Good work Ilford.
    About the Agfa papers: storage is certainly a big problem. We will test a package MCC from 2000, (5 y.o. now, also in the fridge) and we will come back with these testresults.

Have a nice Sunday!

Best regards,

Robert

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    That just about confirms my own experiences. The Baryt Vario I bought last year is trash, while the Ilford I bought 20 years ago is still good.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    35mm
    I've never stocked any photo supplies for longer than one year or so, but now I have to do that in order to keep using AGFA as much as I can. Does anyone know how to properly store its MC FB paper (glossy) to last for at least a few years? What temperature and humiditiy level should I keep for it?

I live in Japan, where there are four seasons with hot and humid summer and pretty dry and cold winter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    So much for the guy who slagged off Ilford MGIV for not having good keeping properties... I always understood that one of the reasons MGIV does not react hugely in selenium & gold toners is because the emulsion is designed to be consistent across batches and to have a long shelf life. Seems there might be some truth in that. Like all things I guess, there is always a trade-off.

Firecracker: why bother? Get 6 months worth and spend the time finding another paper you like. That way you support those manufacturers still in the game and help to keep them alive by buying their product. Sooner or later you are going to have to change, so help out the existing manufacturers at the same time.

OK, I don't use Agfa paper, but I do use Neutol and Rodinal. I have almost run out of Neutol WA and have an almost full bottle of Rodinal. I have no intention of stocking up on either. I'll give my money to companies that are still in business. When Ilford had problems I bought 6 months worth of film and developer and kept that level maintained until the situation improved. If things had not improved, I would have switched to another manufacturer.

Worth considering.

Cheers, Bob.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    It seems to be that O&A has bought the Agfa Photo chemical part in Vaihingen/Enz.

Agfa Photo is already split of and sold in parts.........
    http://www.gfw.de/newsticker/detail.html?id=16076

best regards,

Robert

PS. I do not think it is wise to stock a lot of Agfa MCC/MCP, because it is fogging quite soon.
    Foma has made a new Fomabrom variant paper (Baryt), which could be a very good replacement for MCC. We are waiting for the first production samples.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob F.
    Get 6 months worth and spend the time finding another paper you like. That way you support those manufacturers still in the game and help to keep them alive by buying their product. Sooner or later you are going to have to change, so help out the existing manufacturers at the same time.
    Thanks for the comment. But honestly I do that for two reasons. First, I've been working on a series of my photos for my portfolio, which I can't change the paper in the middle of doing this. Secondly if this is totally the end of AGFA, which I believe it is, I want to leave my work with the particluar kind of paper in this stage. I felt the same way the last time I heard about the financial trouble of Ilford, but the company has survived. And we've seen this over and over again in the last year or so, and I just have to make up my mind.

Anyway it's not going to to much of "stocking-up" because I've already seen the leftovers of the AGFA products starting to disappear from the shelves in the stores week after week. I've been calling some places to get as many boxes of the paper I can, but there's been not much luck with it, which is understandable.

Meanwhilem, for a replacement, I've been thinking of Fuji Rembrandt graded paper, which seems so different from what I've used before but I might like. I'm pretty sure this product will last for a while after seeing the big market still exisiting for it. It's pretty popular here and it is a domestic product, so the price stays as low as it could.

At the same time, because of the trade restrictions and the market control, I'm a bit concerned about not getting other alternatives. I have a feeling even if there are some AGFA MC FB paper OEM products to waiting in line somewhere, I doubt they will come to Japan right away. So, I'm still doing a lot of guessing. But I wonder if there are other folks who are feeling the same as I do about the AGFA paper.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Fotohuis
    PS. I do not think it is wise to stock a lot of Agfa MCC/MCP, because it is fogging quite soon.
    Foma has made a new Fomabrom variant paper (Baryt), which could be a very good replacement for MCC. We are waiting for the first production samples.
    I will look forward to using it, too. But does/will FOMA make a replacement for the fiber-based paper by AGFA?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Interesting - had to use google to translate to English so not sure exactly what it says, but happily it looks like something will be rescued from the mess.

Fingers crossed that the paper division survives too!

Who are A&O? www.aogroup.de is not responding....

Cheers, Bob.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I like MCC and find it to be a good paper but some of the stuff I have that is only recently past the expiration date is clearly fogged as well. Keeping properties and image stability of Agfa products is usually below that of the other major manufacturers as I understand it. I know that my fathers Agfachromes from the 70's have displayed much more substantial fading and color shifting compared to his Ektachrome and Kodachrome slides.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Lawton
    I like MCC and find it to be a good paper but some of the stuff I have that is only recently past the expiration date is clearly fogged as well. Keeping properties and image stability of Agfa products is usually below that of the other major manufacturers as I understand it.
    Fogged by its age? I've never had a problem like that, maybe I usually use it up before its exiration date.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin