Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,773   Posts: 1,484,400   Online: 1109

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

G.E. Party Light Bulb as Safelight?

I was in the grocery store yesterday looking at light bulbs, when I noticed a red low wattage light bulb, which the packaging described as a G.E. Party Light. The cost was only 3 or 4 dollars, as I recall. Has anyone tried testing one of these as a safe light? The price is certainly tempting.

Incidentally, I don't understand what one would do with a red light bulb at a party, unless it were some sort of ortho film processing party. Does this mean that I am getting old?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I haven't tried them but I remember reading a specific statement NOT to use "party lights" so I assume someone has tried them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Red light district equals a party?

I wouldn't use it. I forget what the red screw in safelight bulbs cost but it's not much different. Or you could get a used safelight for not much more. Or for less then $30 you could get the 5x7 safelight from Freestyle.

If you do want to use it you'll need to test. Distance and time.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chazzy
    Incidentally, I don't understand what one would do with a red light bulb at a party...
    It makes it easier to watch the mirror on the ceiling.
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Has anyone tried a disco ball as a safelight?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a confession:

I painted a 25W bulb red (using hi-temp spray paint) and have used it without any fogging issues or otherwise, mounted in a normal clip-on lamp.

I DO NOT reccommend this, as there are issues of safety (given the heat of the bulb, possible paint combustibility, shatering, etc) as well as just too many variables. Mine worked, and still does after a long time (over a year) of use... but after it dies I am getting another, proper safe-light. This was simply an experiment brought on by desperation (long story...) and it happened to work.

Please take this as no more than an amusing anecdote.

Peter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    However, red X-Mas lights for the tree will work. I did this for several years when I was a starving artist. This was before I became rich and famous. Testing for any kind of safelight is advised.

Shooter
    127 Format
    Probably work but:

3x$4 (a bulb + a couple of spares)=$12
    =$10 for a second hand safelight + $2 for a six pack of cheap regular bulbs.

Not a great saving in the long run...

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I've used a red "ceramic" or opaque 25 watt bulb and it works great - no fogging with RC or fiber paper even after exposing them to the light for 8 minutes (the bulb was about 4 1/2 feet away from the enlarger baseboard), and they are convenient since the local hardware store sells them for about two dollars each. They last a long time as well. If nothing else buy one to keep on hand for one of those important weekend printing sessions when the regular safelight craps out and the photo stores are closed.

Joe
    Latent Images Plastic Toy Cameras

"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive" - Howard Thurman

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

G.E. Party Light

I have used the GE Party Bulb as a safelight without any problem. I still have it though I haven't used it in quite some time. I bought it when I needed a red light for a paper that was labeled for use with red light only - can't recall what the paper was. I have never used it with any other paper so I have no idea how it would function in general use.
    Daniel Williams
    Enumclaw WA USA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin