Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,990   Posts: 1,524,149   Online: 1122

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Enlarged Positive from Neg

Is it possible to get a "normal" contrast positive on film by enlarger exposure, without going thru the reversal process of the neg. The last I tried I used 8x10 Ortho film and the result was very low contrast. I just want good large positives.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Yes, it is possible to enlarge and produce an interpositive from a negative. I have used Aristo APHS for most of my efforts. Dektol 1-10 seems to get reasonable density ranges.

You will need to come up with exposure times and a development regimen for your own equipment.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Wayne,

You don't mention the type of Ortho film you've used. I suggest you try Ilford Ortho Plus and develop it in either Ilford Universal for moderately high contrast or HC110 for moderate contrast.

Were you using a litho film before? As Donald suggests, you could get acceptable results with that kind of film. The base fog would be much less than with the Ilford Ortho Plus, but the tonalities otherwise better with the latter film.

Joe

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I tried Bergger BPFB-18, the only large film I have.

What about just using standard large film, something with a clear base?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What are you going to do with the positive? If it is to take it on to go further and make an enlarged negative from the positive, you will want the flat looking positive. To get more contrast, work with stronger developing solutions like you would for normal negatives. Also agitate more while developing.
    Non Digital Diva

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by waynecrider
    I tried Bergger BPFB-18, the only large film I have.

What about just using standard large film, something with a clear base?

The cost of conventional film is a lot more expensive then a film like APHS. The speed of conventional film is also faster then a film like APHS...this makes it more difficult to arrive at precise exposures.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have some Fine Grain release Positive. I have always used it under a red safelight. Are you sure yours is not Orthochromatic? It does indeed make some pretty astounding B&W slides.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggie
    What are you going to do with the positive? If it is to take it on to go further and make an enlarged negative from the positive, you will want the flat looking positive. To get more contrast, work with stronger developing solutions like you would for normal negatives. Also agitate more while developing.
    Aggie the end result I want is a larger positive.

JDEF, from whe way I understand it, and as Aggie noted, it's the flat neg you want. As a projected neg the 5302 sounds interesting.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by waynecrider
    Aggie the end result I want is a larger positive.

JDEF, from whe way I understand it, and as Aggie noted, it's the flat neg you want. As a projected neg the 5302 sounds interesting.
    I do my interpositves and enlarged negs in steps. I've enlarged 35mm to 4x5 and then to 8x10. I don't see why you can't take a 120 neg and go up to a 8x10 if you wanted to get a larger positive. You needn't do contact interpositives. Just put the orginal neg in the enlarger and use the ortho film in an 8x10 film holder as your easel.
    Non Digital Diva

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Not all ortho films are created equal. Kodak Kodalith ortho type 3 film is an extremely high contrast film. Great for silhouettes, but not much good if you are aiming for pictorial contrast.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin