Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,904   Posts: 1,584,573   Online: 1045
      
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Near Tavistock, Devon, on the edge of Dartmoor.
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    1,055

    Ilford / Tetenal paper ???

    Hi All,

    Some weeks ago I ordered (amongst other things) 100 sheets of 10" x 8" Ilford Multigrade RC paper from First Call Photographic (Taunton, UK). When the order arrived, it contained not Ilford, but Tetenal paper with a printed note saying that this was in fact Ilford paper that Tetenal had re-packaged.

    I started using the pack for the first time yesterday and, whilst it seemed fine for "normal" use, my impression was that it didn't respond adequately to the higher values of MG filters when I needed to bump up the contrast on a couple of negs.

    Has anyone any thoughts on this? Is it re-branded Ilford paper and I'm imagining things, or have I been conned? All input much appreciated!

    Best wishes,
    Steve

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Netherlands
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    1,336
    see: "why not to stock up too much photopaper".

    In the past Tetenal sold MGIV under their Comfort paper label. The same like Amaloco photochemicals is doing with their Variprof papers.

    Robert

  3. #3
    Bob F.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    London
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    3,984
    Images
    19
    A couple of points occur to me...

    Yes, Tetenal do (did?) rebadge MGIV so it is indeed MGIV. If it is losing contrast it may be old.

    Second point: if I ordered Ilford, I would expect to get Ilford and if I wanted Tetenal I would order Tetenal. Very surprised Firstcall did this swap, especially as they do not stock Tetenal paper. Unless it was at a good discount, I would be rather annoyed and would let them know it...

    Cheers, Bob.

  4. #4
    FrankB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Northwest UK
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    2,147
    Images
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob F.
    Second point: if I ordered Ilford, I would expect to get Ilford and if I wanted Tetenal I would order Tetenal. Very surprised Firstcall did this swap, especially as they do not stock Tetenal paper. Unless it was at a good discount, I would be rather annoyed and would let them know it...
    Ditto and likewise. A lot.
    The destination is important, but so is the journey

  5. #5
    mikeg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Shropshire, UK
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Posts
    570
    Images
    6
    I'd give the owner Rodney, a ring or email, he's usually very helpful. I've had them switch things on me, but only to give me a "better" item. For example, the last couple of occasions when I've ordered 2.5L of ID-11, they've sent me 3.8L of D-76 instead. A fair enough swap as they're essentially the same and they've never charged me for the more expensive D-76.

    Mike

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Near Tavistock, Devon, on the edge of Dartmoor.
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    1,055
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeg
    I'd give the owner Rodney, a ring or email, he's usually very helpful. I've had them switch things on me, but only to give me a "better" item. For example, the last couple of occasions when I've ordered 2.5L of ID-11, they've sent me 3.8L of D-76 instead. A fair enough swap as they're essentially the same and they've never charged me for the more expensive D-76.

    Mike
    Mike,
    I did drop FirstCall an email earlier on today (not specifically Rodney as I didn't have a name). My order was mainly for other items and the box of paper was really just to make up the minimum order charge, hence I didn't get too excited about it at the time. I've no complaints about the paper for most uses (in fact I'm very pleased with some of the results of yesterday's printing session) and it's only when higher contrast is required that it falls over. FirstCall's prices seem very variable - B & W paper seems very competitive (as long as you get what you order!) but colour transparency materials seem very expensive. I've only bought from FirstCall the once.

    Best wishes,
    Steve

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Near Tavistock, Devon, on the edge of Dartmoor.
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    1,055
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeg
    I'd give the owner Rodney, a ring or email, he's usually very helpful. I've had them switch things on me, but only to give me a "better" item. For example, the last couple of occasions when I've ordered 2.5L of ID-11, they've sent me 3.8L of D-76 instead. A fair enough swap as they're essentially the same and they've never charged me for the more expensive D-76.

    Mike
    Just had a reply from Rodney as follows:

    [FONT=Courier New]"If you want Ilford Steve, it is freely available now. I'm sorry you felt
    there was a difference and you were unhappy with Tetenal.

    The Tetenal is, I assure 100% the same paper, but next time you order you
    will definitely get Ilford"[/FONT]

    I presume that by the words "freely available now" that he's implying that it wasn't freely available when I ordered, ie when the big, black cloud was hanging over Ilford.

    Ah well !

    Steve

  8. #8
    mikeg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Shropshire, UK
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Posts
    570
    Images
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Roberts
    I presume that by the words "freely available now" that he's implying that it wasn't freely available when I ordered, ie when the big, black cloud was hanging over Ilford.
    Hi Steve,

    There still seems to be some supply problems with Ilford stuff. ID-11 is supposed to be available now but only a week ago Firstcall sent me some D-76 instead. In your case, I think Firstcall should have contacted you first to see if it was OK to send you the Tetenal paper.

    Cheers

    Mike

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Plymouth. UK.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,403
    Images
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Roberts
    Mike,
    I did drop FirstCall an email earlier on today (not specifically Rodney as I didn't have a name). My order was mainly for other items and the box of paper was really just to make up the minimum order charge, hence I didn't get too excited about it at the time. I've no complaints about the paper for most uses (in fact I'm very pleased with some of the results of yesterday's printing session) and it's only when higher contrast is required that it falls over. FirstCall's prices seem very variable - B & W paper seems very competitive (as long as you get what you order!) but colour transparency materials seem very expensive. I've only bought from FirstCall the once.

    Best wishes,
    Steve
    Ilford put use by dates on their film boxes but not always on the paper boxes.
    I have found that the contrast of papers past their recommended use by dates can go off quite quickly and lose contrast. Is there a use by date on the box or packet of the paper that you ordered?
    I don`t think Firstcall would deliberately sell products past their use by dates.
    Buying papers that are past the use by dates which are sometimes offered at reduced cost usually proves to be false economy. Although you haven`t done so Steve.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Near Tavistock, Devon, on the edge of Dartmoor.
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    1,055
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Tapscott.
    Ilford put use by dates on their film boxes but not always on the paper boxes.
    I have found that the contrast of papers past their recommended use by dates can go off quite quickly and lose contrast. Is there a use by date on the box or packet of the paper that you ordered?
    I don`t think Firstcall would deliberately sell products past their use by dates.
    Buying papers that are past the use by dates which are sometimes offered at reduced cost usually proves to be false economy. Although you haven`t done so Steve.
    Hi Keith,
    I'll have a look on the packet when I get home this evening. Even if there is one, I suppose that the "original" Ilford use-by date need not be the one that Tetenal might choose! I've always been a little irritated by the lack of dating info on much of the paper sold.

    Best wishes,
    Steve



 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin