Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,474   Posts: 1,570,980   Online: 820

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Johnson
    I like to make clear the developer I tried was not QP-TEA but had ascorbic acid in it.

I did not see any reports about the stain density of QP-TEA yet.
    I don't find the measurements of stained negatives to be very predictive when comparing developers. The stain images of the different agents are of different color, which has an effect on prints in either graded or VC papers. Photographs of a step wedge developed in the different developers and contact printed on both graded and vc papers give a better comparison of the actual contrast to be expected in each case, IMHO.

If you want to compare different films with the same developer, and can correlate the results with behavior in different printing conditions, well and good. Even so, a good color densitometer costs a lot more than a strip of printing paper, and gives just about as much information.
    Gadget Gainer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by PhotoJim
    Pyrogallol comes from gallic acid from gall nuts. Apply heat... presto, pyrogallol.
    So does pyrocat come from heating cats?

Steve

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    We've got "Mormon Tea" (ephedrine) growing all over the desert out here. Maybe I'll crush some up and see if it will stain film. Could be the next craze. Worst case, I could chew the stuff for a little buzz while I'm doing all these tests.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Microdol-X will turn negs a bit brown, but it has plenty of sulfite in it. Don't know why.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by laz
    The title of this thread just about does it. Are there no other staining developers than Pyro?
    Any formula with paraphenylenediamine, such as Germain's developer, will also stain. Germain's contains neither pyrogallol nor pyrocatechin.

I know from experience that Panthermic 777 stains 400TMax, but we don't know what's in that developer. It could have pyrogallol in it as the stain is very similar to what I get with TMY developed in ABC pyro.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by outofoptions
    So, if you have enough stain, then you could eliminate grain?
    That is certainly posible.

I have a friend who bleaches all of the silver out of his negatives and then re-develops with a staining developer that gives close to a 100% stain image. The advantage is virtually no grain. The disadvantage is the considerable extra trouble and danger to the negative of the bleach/re-develop procedure. Also, I have not been impressed with the sharpness of prints made with the bleached/re-developed negatives. Of course, the lack of sharpness may be from other causes.

Sandy
    Last edited by sanking; 11-23-2005 at 07:35 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The lack of sharpness is caused by the fact that the stain diffuses away from the silver grains making the stain image have less resolution.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin