Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,290   Posts: 1,535,398   Online: 771

View Poll Results: Would a printing methods workflow be helpful

Voters
65. You may not vote on this poll
  • I already know about this

7 10.77%
  • Don't confuse me

1 1.54%
  • Yes it would help

50 76.92%
  • What are you talking about?

7 10.77%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    "What I have in mind is a fairly intensive work flow chart to enable one to determine when the various methods are best used."

I am absolutely interested in learning more about the fine print work flow and decision-making processes. I have only read about some of the advanced techniques you mentioned. I have little clue as to when to use them or apply them.

Thank you for even considering such an undertaking!

Blessings, Krystyna

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Anything to help me improve my prints is most welcome.

Gim

I would appreciate reading it. Can always use help in the darkroom.
    Jim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I know I might need some additional peripherals (hard drive, firewire or USB2 connection between the enlarger and the trays, etc.), but could you write this as a plug-in (ala Bloatoshop) for my D2V, Donald?
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald Miller
    I am trying to ascertain how many here have a clear idea of the various printing methods that can be taken to arrive at a fine print, when these would be applicable, the process involved, and the effects obtained. By this I mean contrast enhancement masks, contrast reduction masks, unsharp masking, shadow and highlight masking, paper pre flashing (overall and local), split grade printing, etc.

I'm trying to determine if there is a need for a guide on this and whether I want to do an article on this. What I have in mind is a fairly intensive work flow chart to enable one to determine when the various methods are best used.
    Great Donald. I'd would love to see this. There's not enough articles as it is. As far as I am concerned please work on the assumption that you cannot insult my intelligence when deciding how simple to make the step by step instructions especially when explaining why things work.

Pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pentaxuser
    that you cannot insult my intelligence when deciding how simple to make the step by step instructions especially when explaining why things work.

Pentaxuser
    well said, I've to remember this one... LOL

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sounds very interesting to me as well. The only other time I've seen other printing was a beginners class. Didn't know myself what I was doing so it was difficult to judge anyone else's workflow, and that being a group of (mostly) newbies as well. I really want to take an advanced class (no time curently), mostly to see workflow and the printing decision process as undertaken by good printers.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I think this is a good idea. I have a copy of T. Rudman's "master printering" book but other people's methods are always handy to know. I have been printing for about six months now - using Ilford MGIV RC VC Warmtone - Multigrade dev. LPL C6700 englarger and am just getting to the point where advanced techniques would be of value. Look forward to anything you could do.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I am just about to try printing (see my other thread where I asked which paper to choose), but I am sure this would be of great use once I have mastered the basics

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You need to ask???

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin