Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,748   Posts: 1,515,745   Online: 1107

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Starting times for HP5+ in Xtol (1:1)

Does anyone use this combination? I really like Xtol 1:1 for tmx and tri-X and recently started using HP5+. However, the times posted by Kodak and "The Film Developing Cookbook" (12 min @ 68deg F) have led to negs that are considerably more dense than similarly exposed tri-X negs. Can anyone recommend a better starting time?
    Melchi M. Michel

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    You don't mention your ASA, so go to MDC for the times you need.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    I had the same experience when using this combination in a rotary processor. After some experimenting i arrived at 7.5 minutes at 20 c for N-development. Using this a starting point i would suggest something like 8 or 8.5 minutes for developing in a small tank.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Sorry for the incomplete information. I am exposing at the nominal speed (ISO 400), and developing in a small tank. Regarding the Massive Developing Chart, they have listed the same (seemingly erroneous) time mentioned above. Part of the problem with the MDC is that they don't provide any method for determining whether anyone has actually tried the indicated times, or whether they were just suggested manufacturer times. Maybe we here on Apug.org should put together our own list of verified times for popular developer/film/ISO combinations.
    Melchi M. Michel

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Our own Dev. chart? Good idea!
    Digital is best taken with a grain of silver.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    For what it's worth, I've been using MYTOL (a home-brew relative of XTOL) with HP5 Plus at 1+1 dilution for 7.5 mins at 24C. I get what seems to be a decent ISO 400 out of it. It's a nice combination.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mmmichel
    Does anyone use this combination? I really like Xtol 1:1 for tmx and tri-X and recently started using HP5+. However, the times posted by Kodak and "The Film Developing Cookbook" (12 min @ 68deg F) have led to negs that are considerably more dense than similarly exposed tri-X negs. Can anyone recommend a better starting time?
    I have used that combination, and you are right: they are dense. My negatives are absolutely bulletproof. I attributed it to shooting conditions (middle of a super bright day, very high contrast..), but I'm happy to hear that I'm not crazy. lol.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin