Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,526   Posts: 1,543,908   Online: 1067

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images

Latex examination gloves or Nitrile for Rollo Pyro?

What is the protective difference between Latex examination gloves and Nitrile when using Rollo Pyro? I use Bostick & Sullivan’s Rollo Pyro in a Jobo CPP-2 with Expert tanks. In their instructions B&S say “Wear gloves for any operation likely to splash pyro solutions.” My local pharmacist suggested Latex examination gloves. Several people in another Pyro thread mentioned Nitrile gloves. Though I have several allergies, latex does not appear to be one of them. Do I need to switch to Nitrile gloves or are the latex gloves offering enough protection?

Thanks,

John Powers

Shooter
    Large Format
    John,

Nitrile is a much better choice. I have used double latex at times and they will disintegrate in pyro.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I just started using rollo pyro and grabbed the first box of gloves I saw at the pharmacy. Turns out they were the nitrile kind. Personally, I like the purple better than the white/cream of regular latex. I think they were about the same price so why not get the nitrile.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Use the Nitrile gloves! Don't forget the purple socks that go with them.
    "Nobody is perfect! But even among those that are perfect, some are more perfect than others." Walt Sewell 1947

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Chemicals will seep through the latex that will not through the nitrile. Use the nitrile!
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    In your case, latex is fine. You're processing in a Jobo, so any exposure is going to be minimal. OTOH, if you were processing in trays when you fingers are in the Rollo for many minutes, Nitrile is the way to go.
    Kerik Kouklis
    Platinum/Gum/Collodion
    www.kerik.com
    2014 Workshop Schedule Online

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The amount of chemicals that will penetrate latex gloves within any normal processing time is so miniscule that it's ridiculous to worry about it - unless you wear a fuul-body nitrile cover in the darkroom you will absorb more fumes through the skin of the rest of your body.

Use whatever gloves you are most comfortable with.

EXCEPT: Latex allergies. And some latex gloves tend to weaken in very strong alkaline solutions, like monobath processes. I can't think of any "normal" developer that reaches pH 13...
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm not a chemist, but I know that when I used latex gloves while developing prints in amidol, I got black fingernails just as though I had worn no gloves at all. I don't have the problem with nitrile.

Yes, amidol is not the same as Rollo Pyro, and maybe the latex is fine for Rollo, but I'd recommend nitrile based on my experience.
    juan

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Nitrile gloves. They are more chemical resistant.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    [QUOTE=Ole]unless you wear a fuul-body nitrile cover in the darkroom QUOTE]

Ole - have you been peeking at me in my darkroom - shiny black no less...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin