Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,691   Posts: 1,482,384   Online: 708

Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Rodinal and R09. Similarities and differences

Hi Apuggers

I was reading this thread and started wondering about the differences between the old (R09) Rodinal and the new (Agfa's current Rodinal). I have only tried the current Agfa stuff, but in the future R09 might take over if the current Rodinal stops being made.

I want to hear how people think the two developers are different or similar. The chemical differences also interest me.

Thanks in advance.

Greetings Morten

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have both developers but have yet to make a comparison. Chemically they are very similar, The R09 being said to be closer to the original Rodinal formulation. Rodinal now contains potassium bromide and EDTA while the original and R09 do not. There may be additional chemicals not mentioned in the Agfa MSDS.

There is a rumor that A&O Gruppe, Neuss Germany, has purchased the rights to the Agfa chemicals. Whether this includes Rodinal and the other B&W products or only the commercial color processing chemicals is not known at present.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Koch
    I have both developers but have yet to make a comparison. Chemically they are very similar, The R09 being said to be closer to the original Rodinal formulation. Rodinal now contains potassium bromide and EDTA while the original and R09 do not. There may be additional chemicals not mentioned in the Agfa MSDS.

There is a rumor that A&O Gruppe, Neuss Germany, has purchased the rights to the Agfa chemicals. Whether this includes Rodinal and the other B&W products or only the commercial color processing chemicals is not known at present.
    Their interest is in servicing the mini labs. The factory buildings they bought had to do with the mini labs. It is unclear at this time if they have any interest in producing consumer B&W chemistry or if they even bought the rights to the B&W products.

A&O Gruppe is a IT service company and not a photo company.
    www.jandcphoto.com

Quote Originally Posted by modafoto
    Hi Apuggers

I was reading this thread and started wondering about the differences between the old (R09) Rodinal and the new (Agfa's current Rodinal). I have only tried the current Agfa stuff, but in the future R09 might take over if the current Rodinal stops being made.

I want to hear how people think the two developers are different or similar. The chemical differences also interest me.

Thanks in advance.

Greetings Morten
    Using each developer at it's appropriate dilution and time I seriously doubt you could pick which negative was processed in which developer in a blind test. The similarities are greater than the differences.
    www.jandcphoto.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jandc
    It is unclear at this time if they have any interest in producing consumer B&W chemistry.
    That was also my suspicion.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jandc
    Using each developer at it's appropriate dilution and time I seriously doubt you could pick which negative was processed in which developer in a blind test. The similarities are greater than the differences.
    I got to give it a go someday. I better prepare for the day where I have to bury my last Rodinal bottle and reform the church to Church Of R09

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Shelf Life ?

I use a lot of Rodinal 25/30 films a week and are going to have to use
    R09 when my stock is used up. (3 L) I have been told that R09 has got a poor shelf life compared to Rodinal.

JON

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JON@jb-ci
    I have been told that R09 has got a poor shelf life compared to Rodinal.

But if the results are good I can live with a poorer shelf life (Rodinal has almost infinite shelf life, so even if R09 only has a shelf life of a year it is still great).

JON
    R09 is Rodinal, the Rodinal that earned the reputation before WW-II of having amazing shelf life. The fact that there are differences between the Agfa trademarked version of Rodinal and the original pre war version is pretty much irrelevant from a photographic perspective. Both share the same qualities including shelf life.

I found a half used 250ml bottle of R09 that I had opened 3 years ago and forgotten about a few months ago and it worked just fine.
    www.jandcphoto.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well, if you compare the bottles Rodinal ships in and those R09 is, you may find a quick answer to why R09 won't last as long as Rodinal.

Christian

Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin