Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,707   Posts: 1,548,500   Online: 923

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't think an acid stop bath will help reduce the streaking but it will make your fixer last a lot longer, assuming it is an acid fixer. Use water if it is an alkaline fixer.

Your local car spares shop should have distilled/deionized water by the 5 litre bottle for a few Euro - it is used to top-up batteries. Use that in your final wash with a few drops of the Agepon. You are correct: too much is worse than too little in this case.

Good luck! Bob.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Quinten
    As a stop bath I use water, would a real stop be better to get rith of the chalk marks in this particulair case?
    Once the chalk marks are on the film you need an acidic bath to get rid of them. I suggested ordinary stopbath but you could just as well use white vinegar (5% acetic acid) diluted 1+1 to remove them. 2% citric acid would also work. The calcium hardness as calcium carbonate is soluble in acid solutions.

I was not suggesting that you routinely use a stop bath since I don't know your processing methodology.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Due to the normal DH of tapwater around Amsterdam, I think your concentration of wetting agent must be inadequate. Further the high concentration of Cl- ions in the Amsterdam tap water could cause some other troubles.

Too much wetting agent is also causing trouble, to less is working also not too well. Are you using H10 (Amaloco??).

Best regards,

Robert

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I'd also recommend a final rinse in distilled water, if you are having this problem.

I use Sistan for the final bath before drying, rather than Photo-Flo. It contains a wetting agent and a preservative, which is supposed to protect film and prints from atmospheric pollutants. I use it on RC prints as well.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have found it worthwhile making a stock of "demineralised" water by boiling a big pan full (more than a gallon) and decanting off the clean stuff, leaving the scum on the sides of the pan. I use this stock as a final wash for negatives and for mixing developers.
    Heat or light; it depends on your sensitivity.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin