Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,940   Posts: 1,585,669   Online: 964

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

ADOX Fine Print Vario Classic, what is it?

Hello.

Been surfin the net for this info, but can't find it. Who manufactures ADOX ADOX Fine Print Vario Classic from fotoimpex.de?

I have two boxes of the stuff and, although I've only used it once, I really like it. It has a definite cool tone in Dektol 1+1 and gets a tiny bit cooler in selenium. That rules out Varycon from Efke, right? Is it maybe Forte Polygrade V?

Thanks,

*h

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I used Vario Classic from Fotoimpex a couple of years ago and more recently the Polygrade V. They are not the same. The Vario Classic has a cooler tone, but seemed to have a somewhat compressed tonal range. It was hard for me to get good shadow detail.

Vario Classic reminded me of Ilford Cooltone, but they only sell that in RC.

Mike D

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My impression is that it's softer than say Agfa MCC or Forte Polywarmtone. But I must say I have quite limited experience yet. But I love the cool tone. I've been looking for that for certain portraits and landscapes. Hopefully I will learn to handle the shadows.

Images
    I've done a couple of printing sessions using Adox Vario recently. My first impression was that the base wasn't as brilliant white as the Kodak and Ilford stuff that I've been using but when I compared dry prints, there was no real difference. I quite like the prints that I made last night on it.
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have used 2 boxes, I think Adox is made by EFKE which has led a few of us to wonder if it based on Dupont Verigram. I use my Dupont filters and I don't have any issues with shadow detail or compressed mid range tones. I did find that I need to use a red safelight, and not to overdevelop. I have used Dektol, Zonal Pro, and my last jug of Afga NA, if I let prints develop for more than 90 seconds the highlights do seem to become muddy. I was not able to get a really good match with Zonal Pro and will stick to Dektol.

I would suggest that it is essentially DuPont Varilour some of which I still have.
    Surface looks the same, colour and tonality similar, also silver sheen will sometimes appear on the surface much like Varilour.
    An excellent paper for many subjects
    Mark
    Mark Layne
    Nova Scotia
    and Barbados

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin