Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,231   Posts: 1,532,892   Online: 1001

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hmmm, I can't seem to find where I've heard this. So I might be totally wrong...

I found that some people state that warm tone papers are warm due to smaller silver grains. Less dilution should give smaller grains. Also I found that to get colder tones from say dektol, one should add a restrainer (BZT?) and develop for a longer time. This would increase silver grains, and cool the image tone. I have not tried this, so I'm only repeating what I found here and on photo.net.

Anyway. I get the results that abeku showed using dektol at 1+2 and developing for 2 minutes. Last time I was in the darkroom I used a slightly out of date dektol at 1+1 and developed for 1 minute. I can't say I see a difference in that compared to 1+2 for 2 minutes... If I want to increase the warm tone, I tone prints in selenium for a few minutes.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I haven;t used Forte Warmotne in a few years, but theirs used to be a very warm paper. Even when developed in Dektol-clones at 1+3.

Maybe your box was mislabeled?
    Can you buy an envelope of Forte Neutral and compare?

Quote Originally Posted by Marco Gilardetti
    Wasn't it exactly the opposite? Higher diluitions, warmer tones? Plus, it's not a developer-incorporated paper, 4 mins at 20° are necessary for the image to form fully. 2 mins are an Ilfospeed-like time, as far as I recall.

Well, I don't know. Will buy Forte's specific developer + fixer and see.
    Mama took my APX away.....

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I guess you meant Ilford MG FB Warmtone, right? I don't like that paper very much, as its base is not pure white but creamy, so switched to something else immediately.

However, wash has no effect as in the fixer it's already evident that the warmtone is not there. Process is: Neutol WA 1+9, 4 mins; Ilford Ilfostop Indicator 1+19, 1 min; Ornano Superfix 1+9, 4 mins. But again, I guess the key is in the developer only.

Did anyone ever got warm tones with Agfa WA even from Ilford MGIV polithene paper perhaps? I remember doing side-by-side comparisons with MGIV when the Agfa WA was fresh new, and could see absolutely no difference. If there SHOULD be difference, probably I ran into an Agfa NE batch wrongly packed as WA.
    Its more likely that your paper was mislabelled. Forte PWT+ is warm whether you use Neutol WA or not. Although the color can be controleld to large degree, I have never seen it look fully neutral, and certainly not cold. Neutol WA turns it a hideous green in my experience.

Shooter
    Large Format
    The more we talk about it, the more it's clear that something went wrong.

The paper was kept in the freezer. Can that make any difference perhaps?
    I know a chap who does excellent portraits. The chap is a camera.
    (Tristan Tzara, 1922)

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Forte WT

Marco-perhaps you have paper from the batch that was being sold after Forte re-started production. This paper was not quite seasoned yet. Maybe by leaving it OUT of the freezer for a few weeks will ripen it to where it will do what it is suppoosed to....just a idea
    Peter

Shooter
    Large Format
    Don't think so, I bought it before all that fuss.
    (Tristan Tzara, 1922)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That's a great trick! chilling warmtoned papers in the freezer :LOL:

The more we talk about it, the more it's clear that something went wrong.

The paper was kept in the freezer. Can that make any difference perhaps?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'll chime in with an unfortunately unhelpful, "hmmm, that's odd." I used both the polywarmtone and the fortezo in Neutol WA an thought, "woah... that's way too brown."

Maybe it's something in the water?
    If you tone it down alot, it almost becomes bearable.

- Walker Evans on using color

Shooter
    Large Format
    Oh, damn! I sure picked up the only time/temp/diluition/weather condition/astral conjunction in the world which leads to cold blacks. Will make some experiments in varying conditions as soon as I'll receive the next batch!
    (Tristan Tzara, 1922)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Or probably the next batch will be warm right off the bat!
    ciao!

Oh, damn! I sure picked up the only time/temp/diluition/weather condition/astral conjunction in the world which leads to cold blacks. Will make some experiments in varying conditions as soon as I'll receive the next batch!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin