Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,522   Posts: 1,543,801   Online: 762

Page 1 of 11 1234567 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Rodinal Substitutes?

The prof in my printing class told me there is a Rodinal clone sold by Photographer's Formulary, but I can't seem to find anything like it on their site.

Have any of you seen or used it? If so, how does it compare?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've seen it listed there, but have never used it. I have mixed my own with chemicals from the Formulary according to the recipe in Anchell's "The Darkroom Cookbook". I could see no difference.

FWIW, there are other devs (I feel the wrath of the Church upon me!) that are also accutance devs: FX-1, followed closely by FX-2, Neofine Blue (perhaps the old Beutler formula), dilute X-tol, and Acutol.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jim appleyard
    I've seen it listed there, but have never used it. I have mixed my own with chemicals from the Formulary according to the recipe in Anchell's "The Darkroom Cookbook". I could see no difference.

FWIW, there are other devs (I feel the wrath of the Church upon me!) that are also accutance devs: FX-1, followed closely by FX-2, Neofine Blue (perhaps the old Beutler formula), dilute X-tol, and Acutol.
    Now i could say a word or two on behalv of COR but in fact I actually brewed a batch of FX-2 yesterday and I'm looking forward to try it.
    Not that it will ever replace the Holy Hot Rod, not at all
    S°ren

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Here's a link for Photographers' Formulary's formula,
    http://www.photoformulary.com/uploads/01-0160.DOC

Also here's the link for all there instruction sheets,
    http://www.photoformulary.com/Deskto...dex=4&tabid=23

Shooter
    35mm
    FWIW, the .DOC file referenced by Allen caused OpenOffice.org to crash on my system.

In addition to the B&H link provided by collect888, you can find the PF Rodinal clone on their own site by going to the store and searching on "Rodinal." That'll provide links to the stuff in all three sizes. Unfortunately, it seems to be out of stock at the moment. I've never used it, but from what I can tell from the description, it ships as a powder. This is probably just the powdered components that you'd mix as you would if you were mixing it from scratch. This is more dangerous than mixing most developers, since it involves handling either potassium hydroxide or sodium hydroxide (lye), which is nasty stuff.

There are also Rodinal-type developers manufactured and sold by others in liquid form. In the US, J&C sells Calbe R09 -- or they normally do; they're out of stock at the moment. There's also Fomadon R09, which is rumored to be the exact same formula, but manufactured by Foma. I don't know of any US supplier for Fomadon R09, though. There may be others, too, but I don't know about them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hoorah!! Freestyle just shipped my 10 bottles of Rodinal today. That ought to give me a nice time cushion before I have to start experimenting with other developers. Get 'em before they're gone...

Bruce

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Phtographers' Formulary does sell a Rodinol clone as "Paraminopheno (Rodinol) Developer," but is is currently listed as out of stock. J&C sells R09 as a Rodinol clone.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just ordered some Rodinal from Freestyle. Was told on the phone that they expect (but are not completely certain) that they have 92 bottles arriving end of next week. Of the 92, 56 are "spoken for".

But I wouldn't get too worked up. One would think that the formula for Rodinal, if truly proprietary and not easily replicated, would be a valuable asset that would be sold and then back on the market. And if it is replicable, the absence of Agfa Rodinal would pave the way for "son of Rodinal", whether it be Calbe R09 or whatever.

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    -7. Just ordered 7 myself. Reminds me of that song.

99 bottles of rodinal on the wall 99 bottles of rodinal take one down and order it now 98 bottles of rodinal on the wall....

Page 1 of 11 1234567 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin