Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,694   Posts: 1,482,497   Online: 1018

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Fomapan 100 sheet film reversal - results much above average!

Hello friends,

today I mastered a reversal processing of Fomapan 100 in 4x5 size. Well, the results I get are the same as with Ilford FP4+ reversal, according to Ilford protocols - the same average density (though a bit higher), the same super sharpness and contrast, the same beautiful long gradation in mid-tones. I used Ilford reversal protocol, with some differences - a bichromate bleach (work better, on my opinion), and 10 g of hypo per liter in !st developer. First development time is 5 minutes. If someone's interested, I will post the whole process. After setting it up, I plan to process much of my 4x5 BW film as a slide for latter scanning, because I didn't get yet a 4x5 enlarger

Zhenya

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Ilford gives a formula with 9.0 g from sodium thiocyanate in first developper , did you try this formula soon ?
    I dont have good results with this, all the films i've tested give pictures with a bad grey fog . Could we see scans of your pictures ? i'm very interested :-)
    "have a nice hat, not a pot of flowers" - Alicouscous 2002

Shooter
    Multi Format

4x5 reversal

Please, Zhenya, post the process. I don't have a LF enlarger, either. Thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Do you have any scans you can post?
    BTW, I also found that I needed to reduce the quantity of hypo in the FD and use a dichromate bleach -- this is for FP4 Plus.

I have a whole mess of Fomapan 200 on the way that I hope to try reversal processing out with also.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I also found that I needed to reduce the quantity of hypo in the FD
    In the formula with thiocyanate, Ilford say to use 9.0g per liter, I only use 2.0g !
    Me too i'm interested by the pictures ! are the slides easy to scan ?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    today I mastered a reversal processing of Fomapan 100 in 4x5 size
    It seems to be that the deliveries to Russia (for 4X5" format, new) are quicker than to Germany and to the Netherlands.
    We are still waiting for our Fomapan 100 4X5" films.............

Robert

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by eumenius
    Hello friends,

I used Ilford reversal protocol, with some differences - a bichromate bleach (work better, on my opinion)

Why the bichromate should work better than permanganate?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    because it's dangerous ^^

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Hello friends,

I was too busy today, and as a result I forgot my notes in the lab - I'll bring them tomorrow and post my protocol as a whole. I'll try to ask some answers.

I find bichromate bleach to be stable almost forever, and making no black mud on everything it touches - quite unlike the permanganate-based bleach. And the results look to be more brilliant, at least in my eyes I am a professional chemist, so I can handle bichromate with ease - after all, we wash our flasks with a saturated bichromate solution in concentrated sulfuric acid! Also, bichromate hardens the emulsion nicely, minimizing the risk of friction damage during treatment.

I can't say much yet about scanning - I'll try to do it quite soon and post the results. But it should scan well, on my opinion.

The thiocyanate has no advantages over hypo, on my opinion - we just need a silver halide solvent, and why should I work with thiocyanate that doesn't keep as well as hypo does? In early days they used ammonia with autochrome plates, but it's too smelly for tray development

Bad gray fog can be accounted for some underdevelopment in 1st developer, and underexposure during shooting - the exposure should be very precise to get good slides, that's for sure. I use an incident meter (old Sekonic L-418) and rate Fomapan 100 as 90 with halogen light. One has to adjust the process to get the results wanted.

The Fomapan 100 in 4x5 is really new, I didn't believe to myself when bought it - maybe that's a "gray" export? Everything is possible in Russia, really.

I don't find long washes to be of any importance - a 1 min wash under running tap water is quite enough, and I also re-expose the film right in a tray with clearing bath. Works fine for me. More details tomorrow

Cheers,
    Zhenya

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Everything is possible in Russia, really
    OK, nice to hear that. We like some "flexibility" .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin