Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,694   Posts: 1,549,024   Online: 939

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Film for Photography of Dimly Lit Indoor Scenes (a dance)

I've been asked by people at my local high school what film to use for photography of the school's dance (which is Friday). They need some pictures for the yearbook, and have determined that in the extremely dark room, their (quite old) digital cameras will not do the trick, even with the flash on.

The school's photo teacher (who is not too tech. savvy) seems to know of only three films, period. They are Ilford Delta 100, FP4+ and Tmax 100; none of which will work, even with a massive flash, so they've asked me ...

So my quesition is, which films would be good for this, either with a flash, or (as they have oddly requested), without a flash; obviously to be push-processed.

I'll be doing the processing for them ... arrggh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Will there be stage lights? You can push Tri-x or Hp5 to 1600 or beyond if you are feeling bold, or try Delta 3200. I prefer shooting the Delta 3200 at 1600, but you could give 3200 a try, too! Ilford's DDX and Kodak Xtol are both good developers for push process. I haven't tried them yet on the Delta 3200, but have had good results with D-76.

Good luck with it!!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What are you shooting with ?

Are you comfortable with flash ?

Using FP4+ with a 35mm lens and a small flash will put light in the faces, let you work close to the people, and shoot at reasonable f/stops ( 8 - 11 ) so focus isn't an issue

TMY would also be a great choice.

Yearbooks are about faces. In a dark room, the only source of light is what you bring.
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If I end up doing the shooting, I'll probably be using my Canon AE-1 or my EOS (in manual mode, of course). I'll probably end up using a flash, as I don't understand why they've asked me not to use a flash ... I do have a small (and old) Vivitar flash hanging around from an old Canonet camera, I'll see if it works on my current cameras.

There will be light in the room, I don't know exactly the level, but it is enough light to clearly read text on a page in front of you. The lights on the ceiling (tungsten, I believe) are a dim orange, and there are lights controlled by the DJ's equipment. The brightness and position of these, however, tends to vary according to what music is playing. It can be anywhere from very bright to amost noexistant.

I was thinking that an IR flash with Kodak HIE would be neat, as I could use a flash for great illumination without people knowing that they are being photographed. With flashes going off, people sem to try to "pose" or "get ready" for the picture, which makes it seem more artificial than I like.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Dear htmlquru4242,

If I were doing it I would use TMZ or Delta 3200 and develop in Xtol full strength. This combination gives, to my eye, a very smooth image at EI3200.

Neal Wydra

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi
    I prefer Ilford Delta 3200 ASA at 1600 ASA and got some examples developed in XTOL on my homepage: http://www.artfoto.ch/media/starsvips/heathern.jpg

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That image looks really good. Just to get an idea, do you remember the lens / expoure settings that you used on that.

And, after looking through some of your site, I'd like to say that you have some nice work.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    For Black and white I would concider neopan 1600 since it is great with flash, I am not sure how these other films are with flash but flash speeds can be really short and not all films are great with that. I would at least try a roll with the flash on before the big night.

In case you use colour there are some really good 800asa colour films.

Above that (but I am sure you knew it already,) try to fix a fast lens that's some extra ambient light for free. And tell your school they can create great athmosphere without it being really dark, it just needs some attention to the light in the room if they want good pictures.

Best of luck!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Probably Delta 3200 at either ISO 1600 or ISO 3200 (whichever you can get away with) in DD-X but processed for the next speed up (i.e. if shot at ISO 1600 then process for recommended time for ISO 3200).
    The destination is important, but so is the journey

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I've tested the Rollei R3 film (10x8 sheet). for info here are some test results after processing in the Rollei high speed developer (1:7)

(orginal film sample size 2x3 cm)
    shot and processed at 400 iso: http://www.f32.net/discus/messages/7/9045.jpg
    shot and processed at 1600 iso: http://www.f32.net/discus/messages/7/9047.jpg
    shot and processed at 6400 iso: http://www.f32.net/discus/messages/7/9049.jpg

for the full discussion: http://www.f32.net/discus/messages/7...tml?1115026055

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin