Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,945   Posts: 1,557,733   Online: 1112

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: maco cube 400

Shooter
    35mm

maco cube 400

Hi

I just process a 120 rollfilm with rodinal (1+25 , 12 minutes as indicated in The Massive Dev Chart) the result isn't bad but the film is tainted blue. Is that normal ? May I enlarge it ? This is the first time I try this film I am a little bit disapointed.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The blue colour is normal.

MACO has this to say about the 400 Cube:

Base material
    • 35 mm roll film: Polyester, 100 μm, blue
    • Roll film 120: Polyester, 100 μm, blue
    • Cut sheet film: Polyester, 175 μm, blue or clear
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The Cube 400C is/was a try out for the 3 -layer cubic crystals on polyester base. It's blue (35 mm and 120 rolfilm - I do not use sheet film format). This film was a prototype for the Rollei R3 film: Same 3-layer, but now on CLEAR polyester base AND a non-curling layer. You need for these kind of films a depth developer to reach the best preformance.

Developers suggested: Rollei high speed (or AM74 Amaloco) for E.I. 200-800/1000. Rollei low speed (or CG-512, 24 degrees C. developer) for E.I. 50-200.
    More common developers like Xtol can be also used. Take care of the longer developer times with Cube 400C and the Rollei R3 film. It's normal for a depth developer, all three layer of the film must be activated. Surface developers will not reach the high quality which is possible with these modified T.S.F. emulsions.

Both films can be used as multispeed films in combination with the right "soup" .

Best regards,

Robert

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Fotohuis
    ... You need for these kind of films a depth developer to reach the best preformance. ...
    In other words: Use D-76, not Rodinal if you want to use the "standard" developers.

Come to think of it, Rodinal at 1:25 could be "depth" enough, but 1:100 is definitely not right.
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole
    In other words: Use D-76, not Rodinal if you want to use the "standard" developers.

Come to think of it, Rodinal at 1:25 could be "depth" enough, but 1:100 is definitely not right.
    Erh, Why ....... ?
    Regards Søren

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Søren, very dilute Rodinal is an "acutance" developer. Another term for exactly the same thing is "surface developer". It develops from the surface down - and it is very obvious when developing sheet film by inspection. With a multi-layer film it is generally better to use a developer which develops the whole emulsion at the same time, like D-76. An Amidol developer might be even better - some of them are capable of developing from the bottom up!

Rodinal was originally made as a fine grain developer, and at stronger concentrations it is still that. With increasing concentration it will more and more work as a "normal" (non-acutance) developer.

There are actually cases where surface developers are not optimal...
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Søren, very dilute Rodinal is an "acutance" developer. Another term for exactly the same thing is "surface developer". It develops from the surface down - and it is very obvious when developing sheet film by inspection. With a multi-layer film it is generally better to use a developer which develops the whole emulsion at the same time, like D-76. An Amidol developer might be even better - some of them are capable of developing from the bottom up!

Rodinal was originally made as a fine grain developer, and at stronger concentrations it is still that. With increasing concentration it will more and more work as a "normal" (non-acutance) developer.

There are actually cases where surface developers are not optimal...
    Has this something to do with the "activity/developing speed" of the agents ?
    I though they would all go into the emulsion and the surface term had something to do with the grain and not the surface of the film.
    Man, I feel stupid
    Regards Søren

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Man, I feel stupid
    Not at all. Most people who are going to use the Cube 400C or the Rollei R3 are disappointed because they are using the wrong type of developer. We are selling R3 only with the advise of the right type soup. Otherwise we are getting "troubles" about the R3 "quality".

Advantage: Multispeed film (iso 50 till about 1000)
    Disadvantage: You need selected developers.
    Further with hand development 15:00 Min or so can be annoying of course, but also some Rodinal development times (1+100) can be also long.

By the way we have the 35mm Rollei testkit (IR-400, 2XR3; Retro 100/400 and Pan 25 together) + wooden box with the RHS and RLS each 250 ml for Eur. 39,00 all together. Int. logistics within all Europe: Eur. 5,50.

Have a nice weekend.

Robert

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just a quick question:

Does diafine (hydroquinone/phenidone 2 bath) count as a surface or depth developer? Since the hydroquinone & phenidone are absorbed by the whole emulsion before the 2nd bath comes into the picture, I'm under the impression that it's a depth developer... am I wrong?

André

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

I tried R3 with D76 at 200 and 400.
    Results: the most ugly and grainy negatives I`ve ever seen....

I have two R3 120 rolls left, I`ll try them with the dedicated developer sometime...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin