Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,701   Posts: 1,482,635   Online: 784

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee L
    Cool...

Do you have a Lego robotics kit? My son has one. You could program your own custom agitation sequence with complete control over speeds, reversing, etc. It could stop and beep at the correct time for solution changes. The mind boggles...

If you really are using a lego lift-and-dump mechanism, you should post a photo.

Lee
    I've not done anything that fancy yet but, the ideas are starting to get crowded in the back of my mind. I once came across a page on the 'net that described how a guy have built a robot completely out of Legos that solved Rubik's cube! A full blown Lego-lift would be relatively simple by comparison.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quick bump in hopes that someone will have an idea about my initial question.

Thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Paul,
    Sorry for the "Lego Interlude".
    I haven't done HC110 for a long time and never with Jobo which is my main dev processor.
    You should check and try different dilutions. Do you use the same dilution with other films that are working fine ?
    Try a different speed, it's maybe too fast ( contrast )

I did some test with Classic 400 with Rodinal and WD2D+ and it was good.
    Not much an help sorry.
    Guillaume

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Classic Pan 400 or 200 is Forte film.
    I am using 200 in 5x4 and the grain is large for the speed, but it has a fantastic tonal range.
    That is the structure of these films. Some people call it "older technology".
    HC-110 and rotary process would not help.

All the best.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Sorensen
    I am wondering if I have the wrong film/developer/agitation combo here or is this what others experience with Classic Pan 400 film. I developed 4X5 sheets in a Joboi, using a manual contstant agitation floating in a water bath. The density was a bit high, I think I need to reduce my times a little, but I love the contrast and thought that the image came out beautifully, except for way more grain than I expect from 4X5 film.

When I printed this to 11X14, it looked more grainy than what I am used to with TX and 645 fomat negs. That is a ton of grain for 4X5. Is this a bad developer for the film or for constant agitation? Do you also wonder if maybe I was too agressive with the speed at which I spun the drum? Any other ideas?

I am attaching a couple of scans. One is most of the image and the other a crop of part of the image to show grain. I have only done unsharp mask, 100% at 1 pixel, to the scan, not other manipulation. Excuse the crap from the scanner bed!

Thanks!

Paul.
    This isn't really helpful either except to me but I can only detect grain in the thumbnail on the right. The left one looks totally different in terms of grain - much smoother. To my probably untrained eye there is a real difference between the two thumbnails in terms of grain.

Pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Paul, could it be reticulation? I know you use a water bath during processing but how about the wash temps. This film may be more sensitive to temperature changes than others..just a thought.

--John

From the looks of the scan the grain is excessive and not typical of this film. However, I find it difficult to compare scan results to the real thing.

I've never gotten really good results with HC-110 and the Forte films. Developers like Microphen, D-76, A-49 and the various pyro formulations all seem to give better results in my experience. The limited testing I've done with HC-110 and this film was in 35mm format and it's difficult to compare to your results. My recollection was that it was grainy but good looking grain.

I would also look at the temps as a possible cause.
    www.jandcphoto.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks to everyone for their replies. I will try D76 and see how that works out. I will also try to be more gentle in my agitation, since I suspect I was kind of rough. Hopefully that will work better.

Thanks!

Paul.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, I seem to have solved the problem. This time I developed in D76 and was very gentle with the agitation. Basically, I agitated about as gently as I could while maintaining constant motion. I am very happy with the results. I am attaching scans of the image that I took today, a still life of a light from our studio, and the one from the original problem negative. They are very different subjects, but I wasn't about to drive an hour to take a test shot, so I just found something. The difference is quite dramatic. I might try HC110 with gentle agitation just to see if it was mostly the difference in agitation or developer, but one of the two changes sure made a world of difference.

FYI, both of these prints were made today with the same paper to exactly the same magnification. I basically moved my enlarger up as far as it would go and printed an 8X10 crop of the resulting image, so this is a pretty large degree of magnification, equivalent to a print larger than 20X24.

Thanks again to everyone who posted replies.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails foundation.jpg   light.jpg  

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    A while back I pulled out some of my old supper-xx negs that were tray developed in HC110 Dillution B With the grain focuser I thought I was looking at a boulder field. I didn't remember them being that grainy back then. Try some rodinal then you will be happy with the grain you got now. Speaking of which, I want a developer that will give me the delicious flaver of rodinal and the grain of my pyrocat. That would be better than sex, well almost.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin